VBA Loop through a Range with Multiple Conditions

Jaye Cavallo

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am searching for an Excel VBA solution that would accomplish the following:

I have data in 60 rows in columns A through Z, with the value of column P either "Access" "Noise" or "Notification" and the value of column Q as "open" or "closed". How can I write a VBA loop whereby if P="access" and Q="open" then B through Z has an interior color (NOT formatconditions) set to 26? I want to avoid using VBA Conditional Formatting. My data is contained in A2:Z60 (Named range is Data), column P is a Named range of Reason and column Q is status.

I am searching for a solution that is similar to this code used elsewhere in the worksheet, but code with multiple conditions, if true, change the interior color in multiple cells in a given row.

Dim My_Range As Range
Set My_Range = Worksheets("Customer_Interactions").Range("A2:A3569")

For Each cell In My_Range

If cell.Value Like "Electric" Then
cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 22
ElseIf cell.Value Like "Gas" Then
cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 36
ElseIf cell.Value Like "Other - Specify in Notes" Then
cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 15

Else
cell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

End If

Next

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
try this ( untested). Note I have loaded all your range into a varaint array to make it faster.
VBA Code:
Sub test()
Dim My_Range() As Variant
 My_Range = Worksheets("Customer_Interactions").Range("A1:Z60")  ' load values into a varian t array to make it much faster

For i = 1 To UBound(My_Range,1)

If My_Range(i, 16) = "access" And My_Range(i, 17) = "open" Then
Range(Cells(i, 2), Cells(i, 26)).Interior.ColorIndex = 26
Else
Range(Cells(i, 2), Cells(i, 26)).Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End If
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the suggested code. Unfortunately, it causes a run time error (13) at the line Access_Range = Worksheets("Customer_Interactions").Range("A1:Z60").

Upvote 0
I defined the variable Access_Range As Variant instead of Access_Range() as Variant and the code runs without error and seems to accomplish the goal. Note: I changed the variable name from My_Range in your code.

Thank you for the solution.

Upvote 0
Actually if you run without option explicit you don't need this line at all:
VBA Code:
Dim My_Range As Range
I never use option explicit and that it probably why I got the dim line wrong. I wouldn't normally have put it in at all. I find option explicit more trouble that it is worth. QED

Upvote 0
Actually if you run without option explicit you don't need this line at all:
VBA Code:
Dim My_Range As Range
I never use option explicit and that it probably why I got the dim line wrong. I wouldn't normally have put it in at all. I find option explicit more trouble that it is worth. QED
Thanks for the tip. At the risk of a forum no-no, I would like to ask another question. Upon further review, this code changes the color of the header row to nothing. Is there a way for this code to only affect A2:Z60? I tried to change the range of My_Range to A2:Z60, but the code did not give me an error but did not run correctly.

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Range(Cells(i + 1, 2)

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Range(Cells(i + 1, 2)
That won't work it will color the wrong row. This is the simple modification:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
Dim My_Range() As Variant
 My_Range = Worksheets("Customer_Interactions").Range("A1:Z60")  ' load values into a varian t array to make it much faster

For i = 2 To UBound(My_Range,1)  ' start on the second row!!!

If My_Range(i, 16) = "access" And My_Range(i, 17) = "open" Then
Range(Cells(i, 2), Cells(i, 26)).Interior.ColorIndex = 26
Else
Range(Cells(i, 2), Cells(i, 26)).Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End If
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
The OP said that he changed the range to "A2:Z60" which means the the "i'" variable has to be increased by 1.

Upvote 0
The OP said that he changed the range to "A2:Z60" which means the the "i'" variable has to be increased by 1.
I agree you could make that change but you need to do it in all 4 places that it is referenced, it is certainly a lot easier to leave the range starting in row 1 and then start the loop in row two. I usually try to keep loop counters the same as row counters unless there is a very good reason not to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back