VBA/Macro Help - Pulling info from various websites that can be updated

Chardo

Hello,

I am very new to VBA and macros. Currently I am taking a class on financial modeling at my university and we are required to build tons of models throughout the class. The teacher requires a few large assignments that requires us to basically reach out and take advantage of those who have already figured things out and are more skilled than you.

(He literally told us to use google to find the code you need)

Personally, I want to learn how to do this coding so that once I get help once I can help others learn how to do what I learned.

So where I need help!

We are required to build a model to calculate costs as well as share information to employees about a trip to London [Not actual city]. Right now I’m trying to figure out the basics on how to extract information off the internet in regards to hotel prices, weather, etc. based upon a certain date entered into an input cell.

In reviewing this forum as well as using Google I have found ways to use API to give me weather for up to 5 days away but that doesn’t allow me to see expected weather any further away. I have also read (and bookmarked!) multiple threads regarding how to go to a website and pull information out from that page but it also requires IE to be open.

So I guess my starting question(s) would be:

1a.) Is there a way to pull information from the internet without a browser being open as long as you have internet connection?

1b.) Can that information be dependent upon an input cell from excel?

Examples would be pulling a 10-day forecast from weather.com, pulling hotel prices from TripAdvisor.com (or similar website), and pulling airline prices from TripAdvisor.com.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I'm wondering if you can upload a date into the website to then download the information.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back