VBA macro stops unexpectedly after writing to a cell in active sheet

JKMS

Office Version
  1. 365
I am a novice and adapted some code found in the forum to read a text file, find specific data in that file, and write it to an Excel sheet.

It works properly to find the data, but the macro stops unexpectedly, immediately after changing a cell in the active sheet.

I know that the code successfully identifies the data I want, because if I Debug.Print the result to the Immediate window instead of writing to the active sheet, all the results are there.

But any version of code I write that changes any cell in the active sheet causes the macro to immediately stop.

What am I doing wrong?

Grateful for any help I can get!

VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Const FindText = "Total sludge adsorption:    "
    Dim fData As String, fPath As String, TextLine As String, FileNum As Integer, Rw As Integer

fPath = GetPath
    If fPath = "" Then GoTo TheEnd

Rw = 1
    'Cells(Rw, "A").Resize(, 1) = Array("SludgePercent") 'Labels the column before adding data - if this line of code is enabled, the macro stops here and only the column name is written

FileNum = FreeFile()
    Open fPath For Input As #FileNum

While Not EOF(FileNum)
            Line Input #FileNum, TextLine
            TextLine = Trim(TextLine)

If Left(TextLine, 28) = FindText Then  'Looks for the data label preceding the data I want
                Debug.Print Replace(Replace(TextLine, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")  'This prints all the data successfully to the Immediate window
                Rw = Rw + 1
                'Cells(Rw, 1) = Replace(Replace(fData, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")  'This should write the results to the active sheet - If this line of code is enabled, the macro stops here and only one result is written
            End If

Wend

Close #FileNum

Exit Sub

TheEnd:
MsgBox "file not selected", , ""
End Sub

Private Function GetPath() As String
With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFilePicker)
    .AllowMultiSelect = False
    .Filters.Add "Text", "*.txt"
    .Show
    If .SelectedItems.count = 1 Then GetPath = .SelectedItems.Item(1)
End With
End Function

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi
If
VBA Code:
Debug.Print Replace(Replace(TextLine, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")
is ok
then
should be
VBA Code:
 Cells(Rw, 1) = Replace(Replace(TextLine, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response, mohadin

(Fixed the variable name that you caught... TextLine replaced fData... thanks)

Here is the result when I run the code as shown above, so I know the algorithm works:

1616916448064.png

When I uncomment the following line of code:

VBA Code:
Cells(Rw, 1) = Replace(Replace(TextLine, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")

This is what I see in my Excel sheet:

1616916595793.png

And this is what I see in the Immediate window:

1616916634638.png

So you can see that the macro just stops after finding the first result and writing it to the sheet.

If I uncomment the following line of code:
VBA Code:
Cells(Rw, "A").Resize(, 1) = Array("SludgePercent")

Then this is what I see in my Excel sheet:

1616916782435.png

So you can see that the macro stops immediately after writing anything to the sheet.

Upvote 0
I was thinking that as a temporary fix to just get this done, I could save the results in an array and write the whole array at once into a range in Excel, since I can edit Excel one time. I am trying to figure that out... I haven't yet.

But that's not really an acceptable fix in the long run, because I expect to have cases where I will need to change more than just one array of data.

It seems like I must have some sort of setting messed up, because I tested simpler code that others use successfully and I get the same problem.

Upvote 0
Try
VBA Code:
 If Left(TextLine, 28) = FindText Then  'Looks for the data label preceding the data I want
        Debug.Print Replace(Replace(TextLine, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")  'This prints all the data successfully to the Immediate window

ActiveSheet.Cells(Rw, 1) = Replace(Replace(TextLine, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")  'This should write the results to the active sheet - If this line of code is enabled, the macro stops here and only one result is written
        Rw = Rw + 1
    End If

Upvote 0
Hi mohadin - thanks for this reply. I will try your fix now, but wanted to check in to say that I just tested my original code on my old computer and it works fine.

I have been using a brand new computer with a new install of Excel 365... it does not work here.

It did word in Windows 8, Excel 2016. Hmmm...

I will try your code now.

Upvote 0
Try
VBA Code:

ActiveSheet.Cells(Rw, 1) = Replace(Replace(TextLine, FindText, ""), "  percent", "")  'This should write the results to the active sheet - If this line of code is enabled, the macro stops here and only one result is written
        Rw = Rw + 1
    End If
The same thing happened - your version successfully wrote the first result to the sheet, and then the macro stopped.

Both my original code and your fix work fine on my old computer. No problems.

This is weird. I will reboot...

Upvote 0
The reboot cured it. Crazy.

I wasted so much time on this, thinking I was making a coding mistake but actually Excel was just in some weird state and needed rebooting. SMH

thanks, mohadin for spending time to help

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back