VBA Macro to unmerge empty merged cells

tjdickinson

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking for code that will automatically unmerge empty, horizontally merged cells so that column lines will be visible, but which will not unmerge vertically merged cells (all of which contain data). The code will be inserted into a macro which will execute a number of other formatting processes, some of which depend on the cells being unmerged.

So far, the code I have is:
VBA Code:
Sub UnMergeCell()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    If IsEmpty(cell.Value) = True Then
        cell.Style = "Note"     'I'm using this in testing just to see which cells are affected
      cell.UnMerge
    End If
    Next
End Sub

I had hoped that the text in the merged cells would prevent them from unmerging (thus the IsEmpty() function), but this code still unmerges all the cells. How can I fix the code so that only the empty horizontally merged cells unmerge? The main data range is B3:F15 on all sheets. A1:F1 are merged horizontally, but there is text in the merged cell.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
My advice would be to re-design your sheet if possible so that you have no merged cells to begin with. You should avoid using merged cells because they almost always create problems for macros.

Upvote 0
try this

If ActiveCell.MergeArea.Columns.Count > 1 And IsEmpty(cell.Value) = True Then

Upvote 0
My advice would be to re-design your sheet if possible so that you have no merged cells to begin with. You should avoid using merged cells because they almost always create problems for macros.
Thanks for your reply. I'm dealing with timetables exported from a generation software, so I'm not able to control the merging, unfortunately. :-/

Upvote 0
try this

Thanks for your reply. When I try that in the code like this, nothing happens:
VBA Code:
Sub UnMergeCell()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
            cell.Style = "Note"
      cell.UnMerge
    End If
    Next
End Sub

I tried changing 'Columns' to 'Rows' and setting it to = 1 , but that unmerged everything. Interestingly, when I set it to .Columns.Count = 1, it also unmerged everything--both rows and columns.

Did I insert it in the code incorrectly?

Upvote 0
I would recommend unmerging ALL cells from the get-go (regardless of whether or not they have values in them).
You can do that with a single line of code like this:
VBA Code:
    ActiveSheet.Cells.UnMerge
and then work from there.

As was mentioned, leaving merged cells in there are probably going to cause you nothing but headaches for things like sorting and VBA, so it is strongly recommended that you eliminate them.
Very few serious programmers will use merged cells (and many won't even touch any questions on this forum dealing with them). They are that bad.
I understand that some programs export data that have them. The first thing I usually do is remove them all.

Also, note that you can easily achieve the same visual effect of horizontally merged cells by opting to use the "Center Across Selection" formatting option instead.
If gives the same visual effect without all the issues merged cells bring.
See: Tom’s Tutorials For Excel: Using Center Across Selection Instead of Merging Cells – Tom Urtis

Upvote 0
I would recommend unmerging ALL cells from the get-go (regardless of whether or not they have values in them).
You can do that with a single line of code like this:
VBA Code:
    ActiveSheet.Cells.UnMerge
and then work from there.

As was mentioned, leaving merged cells in there are probably going to cause you nothing but headaches for things like sorting and VBA, so it is strongly recommended that you eliminate them.

Also, you can easily achieve the same visual effect of horizontally merged cells by opting to use the "Center Across Selection" formatting option instead.
If gives the same visual effect without all the issues merged cells bring.
See: Tom’s Tutorials For Excel: Using Center Across Selection Instead of Merging Cells – Tom Urtis

Very few serious programmers will use merged cells (and many won't even touch any questions on this forum dealing with them). They are that bad...
Thanks for the tip, and I'll certainly keep it in mind for other projects.

Unfortunately, I'm dealing with a file exported from a timetable generator, so I'm not able to control the merged cells.

I'm also not able to unmerge everything, because the vertically merged cells indicate a course spanning two hours. When the cells are unmerged, it makes it look like it's a one-hour course. Since the timetable for each individual is different, I can't code something that will re-merge (or 'Center Across Selection') those blocks. (As far as I know, but I'm still relatively novice when it comes to VBA.)

Upvote 0
I'm also not able to unmerge everything, because the vertically merged cells indicate a course spanning two hours. When the cells are unmerged, it makes it look like it's a one-hour course. Since the timetable for each individual is different, I can't code something that will re-merge (or 'Center Across Selection') those blocks. (As far as I know, but I'm still relatively novice when it comes to VBA.)
OK, I think I see your dilemma.

Take a look at this question here and the first reply. It has VBA code that will replace each merged cell with the value (so then inyour example, it should still show across two hours instead of one).

Will something like that work for you?

Upvote 0
Try something like:

VBA Code:
For Each c In Selection
    If c.MergeArea.Columns.Count > 1 Then
        If c.MergeArea.Cells(1) = "" Then
            c.MergeArea.UnMerge
        End If
    End If
Next

Upvote 0
Solution
Try something like:

VBA Code:
For Each c In Selection     ' looks at each cell in the selected area
    If c.MergeArea.Columns.Count > 1 Then     ' counts the number of columns in the merge area of the selected cell, and compares it to 1
        If c.MergeArea.Cells(1) = "" Then     ' if the column count is greater than 1, then compares the contents of the cell to an empty set
            c.MergeArea.UnMerge     ' if the cell is empty, unmerges the cell
        End If
    End If
Next
Amazing, that did the trick. I had to add Range ("A1:F15").Select at the start, but then it worked perfectly. Thanks!

I'm still quite novice when it comes to VBA, so I've commented in the code above what I think is going on...am I correct?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back