VBA Newbie Problem

steviejy2k

I am a complete newbie to VBA and am trying to make a simple (supposed to be) spreadsheet for people to file expenses with.

I have managed to formulate the spreadsheet so that it looks up £ to € exchange rates for particular days automatically, but I am now trying to make a macro which allows users to insert a new expense into the form.

I require the macro to move a selection labelled TOTALS down a row, and then copy the formulae from other rows down to the new row below. That's not particularly well explained.

Basically i have one row which is formatted correctly with formulae etc, and i want when the user clicks the macro button for the totals (which are two lines beneath) to be moved down a row, and the formatted row with formulae to be copied to the next row below. The important formulae in cells have labels attached so if i can use these it may be easier?? I'm guessing here.

Sorry for the poor explanation.

(P.S. I haven't written any code yet to give you a start as i didn't know where to start.)

Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hello,

why not try using the macro recorder, then posting any problems you may have. You may be surprised how quick you pick up VBA.

Upvote 0
I have tried using the macro recorder but the problem is when i select the cells containing the formulae to be copied, the code references these cell addresses. Therefore when i try to repeat the process for the second time (i.e. a second expense input) noting happens as it overwrites into those cell location again.

When i try with the recorder this is what I get:

Sub Test()
'
' Test Macro
'

'
Application.Goto Reference:="TOTALS"
Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
Application.Goto Reference:="INTEREST"
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("I7:I8"), Type:=xlFillDefault
Range("I7:I8").Select
Application.Goto Reference:="VAT"
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("M7:M8"), Type:=xlFillDefault
Range("M7:M8").Select
Range("B8").Select
End Sub

The text in red is where i think the problem lies, instead of copying particular cell references, i just want the formula from that cell to be copied down a cell.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello Stevie

Try this:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> lRow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br><br>lRow = Range("TOTALS").Row<br><br>Rows(lRow).Insert<br><br>Range("INTEREST").Copy Range("I" & lRow)<br>Range("VAT").Copy Range("M" & lRow)</FONT>

Upvote 0
Hi Jon,

Thanks very much that is almost perfect. There is one thing however, at the moment when i run that it leaves a line gap after the first row where the formulae are, and then fills them in. So basically i am left with a gap, but for repeats of the process the formulae are placed in the correct place, i.e. the row directly underneath the new one created by your code.

Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
Hello Stevie

Assuming that I understand you (not likely due to severe lack of coffee today):

You could change:
lRow = Range("TOTALS").Row

to:
lRow = Range("TOTALS").Offset(-1).Row

and change the -1 to accommodate whatever the space is that you have between your data range and TOTALS range.

Upvote 0
One further question,

How can I control the formatting of the copied cells?

i.e. I have the table formatted with borders etc and I want these to remain properly formatted when the new line is inserted. This is how the table looks before the new line is inserted,
expenses_template.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
2Start:End:
3Today'sDate:10/12/2008Name:EnteryournamehereExpensesPeriod:08/11/2008
5Date:ExpenseType:ExpenseItem:Amount:ExchangeRate:Amount:VAT:
708/11/2008Hotel501.236930
9Total:50Total:0TotalVAT:0.00
Sheet1

This is how it looks afterwards:
expenses_template.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
2Start:End:
3Today'sDate:10/12/2008Name:EnteryournamehereExpensesPeriod:08/11/2008
5Date:ExpenseType:ExpenseItem:Amount:ExchangeRate:Amount:VAT:
708/11/2008Hotel501.236930
8 0
10Total:50Total:0TotalVAT:0.00
Sheet1

As you can see the formatting has not been kept.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> lRow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br><br>lRow = Range("TOTALS").Offset(-1).Row<br><br>Rows(lRow).Insert<br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Range("INTEREST")<br>    .Copy Range("I" & lRow)<br>    .EntireRow.Copy<br>    Rows(lRow).PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>Range("VAT").Copy Range("M" & lRow)</FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back