VBA not displaying syntax helper

cmhoz

Usually... when you beging to enter code in VBA, it will help you get the syntax right by either displaying a drop-down to choose from available actions/descriptions/etc or it will show the little yellow bar with the correct syntax for a function.

For some reason, my VBA at home does not do this... very annoying. i'm running Office 2005 on Mac OS X.

Any clue how to turn this on??

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
In the VBE, Tools | Options... | Editor tab. Check out the various options. If necessary, click the Help button.

Upvote 0
(It's actually... Excel | Preferences in OS X)

But... I've been there. There's an option to tick for 'auto check syntax' but all it controls is whether VB will check the syntax AFTER you've already written the line of code - if it's correct it will change all the formatting to it's preferred formats and if it's not correct it will turn red. A nice thing, but not what I'm looking for...

I'm wondering if what I'm looking for is only available on the PC version? Wouldn't make much sense to me.. but then Bill Gates often does things like that.

Upvote 0
That's the only option in the dialog box?

(It's actually... Excel | Preferences in OS X)

But... I've been there. There's an option to tick for 'auto check syntax' but all it controls is whether VB will check the syntax AFTER you've already written the line of code - if it's correct it will change all the formatting to it's preferred formats and if it's not correct it will turn red. A nice thing, but not what I'm looking for...

I'm wondering if what I'm looking for is only available on the PC version? Wouldn't make much sense to me.. but then Bill Gates often does things like that.

Upvote 0
The only relevant one...

In the 'editor' tab I have the following:

- auto Syntax Checker
- auto indent
- require variavle declaration
- tab width
- default to full module view
- procedure separator

Other tabs in the preferences window are 'editor format' which is colours and 'general' which gives me options to show grid, when to break, compile, etc. Nothing more here about syntax.

Upvote 0
Wow! That's amazing. 'Auto List Member' has been around on the Wintel platform going back...well, as far back as I can remember.

The only relevant one...

In the 'editor' tab I have the following:

- auto Syntax Checker
- auto indent
- require variavle declaration
- tab width
- default to full module view
- procedure separator

Other tabs in the preferences window are 'editor format' which is colours and 'general' which gives me options to show grid, when to break, compile, etc. Nothing more here about syntax.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back