Vba Object browser - understanding the most weird things

makiwara

Board Regular
Hi! I have googled so much but I just can't find a decent description or explanation of the weird things i experience, so I hope somebody could help me out.

It's all about library - class - members. If u can only answer one, or have the time only for one, that's a big help for me too. Thank you very much in advance.

1. How do I know which member to choose when there are multiple results?
1610570411023.png

2. How do I know which one to use when i found it also in second and also in third column?

3. If I not only search Excel, but all libraries, i got multiple instances in even column 2 (classes). How do I know which library I need? And which result belongs to which library?
1610570473687.png
1610570529155.png

4. On previous picture u can see that Cells is marked with a "property" icon. But cell is definitely not a property, it's a range object with its own set of properties or methods. Or do we calls the member of a class "property", even if that is itself an object? (we call the "name property" a property too, so it confuses me, cause "name" and "cell" is not the same, i can look into cell, but not into name.

5. Excel, Application, Globals... What are the connection between these? Especially the globals, I find it really hard to understand.

6. Why intellisense doens't show anything on cellformat, if according to object browser this is a member of excel? But according to intellisense its not.
1610570953364.png

Thank you very much, I am really stucked with these things, seems there are no good explanations, no matter what video or article I read, they just skipp these. Thank you very much

Attachments

• 1610570838958.png
    1610570838958.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
There are on line tutorials that explain a lot of these. Most of your questions relate to the theory of the Excel object model, which cannot be summarized in one short statement, but would require considerable text to explain. One thing to remember in the Excel object model is that some objects can be properties of other objects, depending on how they are applied in formulas or code. Years ago Microsoft provided text books with their Office applications that gave graphic descriptions of the object models. There might even be one on line somewhere thatwould show the parent child breakdown from top to bottom. But I doubt it would be anymore helpful than the object browser if the user does not have a grasp on the concept of relational data bases.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back