As well as in the workbook:

VBA Code:
Private Sub workbook_open()
    Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        ws.protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True
    Next ws
End Sub

However, when I right click in the tab of Sheet1 and protect manually with a password, then the VBA code needs also that code..

I want in the above codes to add a password, hence it could automatically and in the background the excel to unprotect itself and reprotect and so the VBA to work..

How should I change them?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
This link shows you the structure of the code with and without passwords:

Upvote 0
This link shows you the structure of the code with and without passwords:
Thanks for the reply Joe4,

I've advised that link to automate my excel. However, when a user clicks on my workbook he enters as read-only.

So, how can I alter the codes in order not to ask from the user to insert a password but running in the background?

If I type a password like 1234 in the below:

1654782716770.png

Should I also alter the codes such as below in order not to ask from the user to use a password?

VBA Code:
Sub Edit_Sheet1()
'Unprotect Sheet1
Worksheets("Sheet1").Unprotect "1234"

'Do Something to Sheet1

'Reprotect Sheet1
Worksheets("Sheet1").protect "1234"
End Sub

Upvote 0
I am not sure I understand what you are asking here.
If the workbook is password protected, in order to unprotect it, the password must be entered (either manually or by VBA code).

If you want it to happen automatically, then it needs to be placed in one of the event procedures in Excel (like Workbook_Open, etc).
But you would need to define on what action and under what conditions it should be automatically unprotected.

Upvote 0
If the workbook is password protected, in order to unprotect it, the password must be entered (either manually or by VBA code).

If you want it to happen automatically, then it needs to be placed in one of the event procedures in Excel (like Workbook_Open, etc).
But you would need to define on what action and under what conditions it should be automatically unprotected.

Yes I know in order to unprotect a sheet the user should enter the password. The problem though is on the fact that when the user opens the workbook in read only mode it asks him to enter a password to unprotect the sheet.

Why is that happening?

Upvote 0
Because you have this code here:
VBA Code:
    Dim ws As Worksheet

Next ws
End Sub
Workbook_Open code fires automatically whenever the workbook is opened.
Since the code is trying to unprotect the workbook, but doesn't use the password, it is going to prompt the user for one.

So, you have two options:
1. If you do not want it to try to unprotect all sheets automatically upon opening (which, I don't know why you would - what would be the point of the protection?), then get rid of this code.
2. If you want it to automatically unprotect all the sheets upon opening, then add the password to the "Unprotect" line of that code.

Upvote 0
Because you have this code here:
VBA Code:
    Dim ws As Worksheet

Next ws
End Sub
Workbook_Open code fires automatically whenever the workbook is opened.
Since the code is trying to unprotect the workbook, but doesn't use the password, it is going to prompt the user for one.

So, you have two options:
1. If you do not want it to try to unprotect all sheets automatically upon opening (which, I don't know why you would - what would be the point of the protection?), then get rid of this code.
2. If you want it to automatically unprotect all the sheets upon opening, then add the password to the "Unprotect" line of that code.
Thank you for your feedback Joe4!

I don’t understand that much your 2. point. What do you mean exactly? How the code should be altered?

Upvote 0
Like this:
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim ws As Worksheet

ws.Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True, Password:="1234"
    Next ws
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Like this:
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim ws As Worksheet

ws.Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True, Password:="1234"
    Next ws
End Sub
Thank you so much for your help! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back