VBA or macro to loop through rows in master sheet to copy 2nd sheet with value

cctobias

Hello, experts! I could really use your help!

I consider myself an excel expert (can do pivot tables, formulas, vlookups in my sleep) but have never had to use macros or VBA and desperately have a situation where I need to now.

I have a master sheet of data with LOTS of rows where column A is someone's name: (ex.)
Name date dollars
Jack 4/1/90 $5
Jill 2/1/79 $1
John 3/6/00 $10

I have a second sheet which is a template of a form that I need to create for every name on the list: (ex.)
Form For
Jack
Date: 4/1/90
Dollars: $5

In the template, I have the name coming into the spreadsheet with a formula that says ='Master sheet'!A:A
The rest of the data in the template uses vlookups keying off of that name.

SO, what kind of loop statement could I create in VBA that would copy the template worksheet, and loop through each row of the master spreadsheet to create a worksheet for each person?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Thank you SO much. Unfortunately, I'm a little too new at this to know what i need to substitute. (he is taking a specific value to name the new tab and i need to take a specific value and enter it to a specific cell in a "COPIED" worksheet of my template. :(

Upvote 0
Assuming that you are using my code, you just need to click in the relevant column when prompted.

Upvote 0
I'm so sorry, Peter, thank you for your patience. So - I copied your code into the visual basic editor for my entire workbook. When I ran it it gave me a "Run-time error '1004' Application-defined or Object-Defined error". Any ideas?

THANKS!!!

Upvote 0
Paste the actual code here, formatted withing CODE tags, and then people can see what you're doing. Now we're just guessing.

Upvote 0
Here you go:

Sub Lapta()
Dim lastrow As Long, LastCol As Integer, i As Long, iStart As Long, iEnd As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With ActiveSheet
lastrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
LastCol = .Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
.Range(.Cells(2, 1), Cells(lastrow, LastCol)).Sort Key1:=Range("H2"), Order1:=xlAscending, _
Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
iStart = 2
For i = 2 To lastrow
If .Range("H" & i).Value <> .Range("H" & i + 1).Value Then
iEnd = i
Sheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
Set ws = ActiveSheet
On Error Resume Next
ws.Name = .Range("H" & iStart).Value
On Error GoTo 0
ws.Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, LastCol)).Value = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(1, LastCol)).Value
.Range(.Cells(iStart, 1), .Cells(iEnd, LastCol)).Copy Destination:=ws.Range("A2")
iStart = iEnd + 1
End If
Next i
End With
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
- Formatting code is done with tags
Code:
 and [ /code] (this last one without the leading space)

- Why didn't you change the hard-coded column H in the code? You're going to split by column A, so H is wrong.

- What line generates the error?

Upvote 0
Whoo Hoo! That did something! Now I have tabs named for each of my people, but it only copied the master sheet.

Any ideas how I can get it to use the "copy tab" function and select the tab I want it to copy?

Upvote 0
Use F8 to step through the code.

Within the loop, you'll notice that it is:

Code:
Sheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)

that you'll want to change. It should be copying another sheet rather than adding one. The Copy method can do this. Please check out the help files.

Wigi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back