VBA or Macro

lyn5339

Hello,
i have a project where i am pretty sure i need VBA but i am in the process of learning. basically i have about 20,000 rows of datas and text and i have how it is formated below. if there is more then one e-mail address in column B(which can be sepearted by either a space,comma,or semicolon) then i need to insert a new row directly below the original for each e-mail address. and in the new row all information needs copied from all cells in original row except the e-mail which obviously will be the new e-mail. so i am tryiong to create coding to run that will recognize that there needs to be a new row for all the e-mail addresses in the original cell. any advice would help because i am racking my brain. thank you

Before:
Column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn E
Namee-mail1 e-mail2, e-mail3; e-mail4DateCompanyLocation
After:
Column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn E
Namee-mail1DateCompanyLocation
Namee-mail2DateCompanyLocation
Namee-mail3DateCompanyLocation
Namee-mail4DateCompanyLocation

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup>

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
That is a complex problem. Obviously, there will be a looping structure that checks each cell in the column. The best way I can think of to do this would be to parse the contents into an array looking for a space, a comma or a semicolon using an INSTR(). That could be done in a do/while wrapped around the checking of the separator.
Then for the email address, you could use a count of emails returned to add a row below, insert the contents of the rest of the cells, and add the email by looping for a count and using the loop index to identify which email to add.

Upvote 0
Try this. Assumes your names are in column A starting in A2 and email addresses in column B starting in B2.
Code:
Sub lyn5339()
Dim lR As Long, R As Range, c As Range, sV As Variant, i As Long, j As Long
lR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Set R = Range("A2", "A" & lR)
For i = R.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1
    If InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), " ") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, _
        1)), ",") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), ";") Then
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ",", " ")
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ";", " ")
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value)
        sV = Split(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value, " ")
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(1, 0).Resize(UBound(sV), 2).Insert shift:=xlDown
        For j = 0 To UBound(sV)
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 0).Value = R.Cells(i, 1).Value
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 1).Value = sV(j)
        Next j
    End If
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Wow! Thank you both for the response and that divided up the e-mails perfectly. it did not copy columns C through H("date,company,activity,active indicator,invoice,account") like it did for the name so would i just those as ranges for R?

Upvote 0
i was getting an error dealing invalid property name with Range highlighted so i thought maybe i could include "C:H" into 1R range and it worked for the name and e-mail again but still nothing for C:H. almost like it ignored just those columns.
Here is what i had in there:
lR = Range("A" & "C:H" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Upvote 0
Wow! Thank you both for the response and that divided up the e-mails perfectly. it did not copy columns C through H("date,company,activity,active indicator,invoice,account") like it did for the name so would i just those as ranges for R?
This will include columns C:H (assuming you just want to repeat the values therein for each separate email address.
Code:
Sub lyn5339()
Dim lR As Long, R As Range, c As Range, sV As Variant, i As Long, j As Long
lR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For i = R.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1
    If InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), " ") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, _
        1)), ",") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), ";") Then
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ",", " ")
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ";", " ")
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value)
        sV = Split(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value, " ")
        R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(1, 0).Resize(UBound(sV), 8).Insert shift:=xlDown
        For j = 0 To UBound(sV)
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 0).Value = R.Cells(i, 1).Value
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 2).Resize(1, 6).Value = R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 2).Resize(1, 6).Value
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 1).Value = sV(j)
        Next j
    End If
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
seems like i spoke to soon. i tested it on first about 50 rows which worked and then once i tryed the original file, i recieved an error and once in the debugging it showed me the line below. i hovered over to see where the issue was and it seems to tell me "xlDown=-4121", have you ever seen this before? is just because of the large amount of rows(130,000)

Upvote 0
seems like i spoke to soon. i tested it on first about 50 rows which worked and then once i tryed the original file, i recieved an error and once in the debugging it showed me the line below. i hovered over to see where the issue was and it seems to tell me "xlDown=-4121", have you ever seen this before? is just because of the large amount of rows(130,000)

Likely that you have enough data that you have used all rows. Excel will not allow shift down if it means going off the bottom of the sheet. Can you break the data into two (or more) parts each on a different sheet and run the macro on each sheet separately?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back