VBA or Macro

lyn5339

Hello,
i have a project where i am pretty sure i need VBA but i am in the process of learning. basically i have about 20,000 rows of datas and text and i have how it is formated below. if there is more then one e-mail address in column B(which can be sepearted by either a space,comma,or semicolon) then i need to insert a new row directly below the original for each e-mail address. and in the new row all information needs copied from all cells in original row except the e-mail which obviously will be the new e-mail. so i am tryiong to create coding to run that will recognize that there needs to be a new row for all the e-mail addresses in the original cell. any advice would help because i am racking my brain. thank you

Before:
Column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn E
Namee-mail1 e-mail2, e-mail3; e-mail4DateCompanyLocation
After:
Column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn E
Namee-mail1DateCompanyLocation
Namee-mail2DateCompanyLocation
Namee-mail3DateCompanyLocation
Namee-mail4DateCompanyLocation

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup>

My mistake for not looking at it more carefully. The range is expecting a starting cell and an ending cell. Moe's code was working on cells in one column. To expand it, you need nested for loops with the outer loop cycling through the columns with an "if" statement to remove processing of column B. Modifying Moe's code:

Code:
Sub lyn5339()
Dim lR As Long, R As Range, c As Range, sV As Variant, i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
lR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Set R = Range("A2", "A" & lR)
For k = 1 to 8
    if k = 2 Then k = 3
    For i = R.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1
        If InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), " ") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, _
            1)), ",") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), ";") Then
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ",", " ")
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ";", " ")
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value)
            sV = Split(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value, " ")
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(1, 0).Resize(UBound(sV), 2).Insert shift:=xlDown
            For j = 0 To UBound(sV)
                R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 0).Value = R.Cells(i, 1).Value
                R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 1).Value = sV(j)
            Next j
        End If
    Next i
Next k 
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
yep! it worked that way. i did not know about those limits. when i split it, it could take roughly 18,000 rowsper sheet and run. these records will come once a month so what i can do is create a macro to run and section the full data out by 18,000 per sheet and then run the macro you created. thank you so much for your expertise, you saved me a solid 2 weeks of work.

Upvote 0
yep! it worked that way. i did not know about those limits. when i split it, it could take roughly 18,000 rowsper sheet and run. these records will come once a month so what i can do is create a macro to run and section the full data out by 18,000 per sheet and then run the macro you created. thank you so much for your expertise, you saved me a solid 2 weeks of work.
Glad I could help. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
My mistake for not looking at it more carefully. The range is expecting a starting cell and an ending cell. Moe's code was working on cells in one column. To expand it, you need nested for loops with the outer loop cycling through the columns with an "if" statement to remove processing of column B. Modifying Moe's code:

Code:
Sub lyn5339()
Dim lR As Long, R As Range, c As Range, sV As Variant, i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
lR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Set R = Range("A2", "A" & lR)
For k = 1 to 8
    if k = 2 Then k = 3
    For i = R.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1
        If InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), " ") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, _
            1)), ",") Or InStr(Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1)), ";") Then
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ",", " ")
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = Replace(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1), ";", " ")
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.Trim(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value)
            sV = Split(R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value, " ")
            R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(1, 0).Resize(UBound(sV), 2).Insert shift:=xlDown
            For j = 0 To UBound(sV)
                R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 0).Value = R.Cells(i, 1).Value
                R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(j, 1).Value = sV(j)
            Next j
        End If
    Next i
Next k 
End Sub
I don't think your modification will work. Please see the modification I posted in post #7 of this thread.

Upvote 0
i have a code below where it sections out 18,000 rows from a "master List" into new sheets and i thought that maybe i could work the coding you made into this code so that as soon it adds the 18,000 rows into a new sheet it runs the e-mail macro. unfortunately i am still getting the error with the "R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(1, 0).Resize(UBound(sV), 8).Insert shift:=xlDown", is it still because of the data limits you said it could be?
Sub seperate_datasheets()
'
' seperate_datasheets Macro
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+s
'
Dim Last_Row As Long
Dim i As Long
Dim Limit As Long
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Limit = 18000
With Sheets("Sheet1")
Last_Row = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For i = 1 To WorksheetFunction.Ceiling(Last_Row / Limit, 1)
Range(.Cells(((i - 1) * Limit) + 1, 1), .Cells((i + 1) * Limit, 10)).Copy
Sheets.Add
ActiveSheet.Paste
Application.Insert "Organize_emails"

Next i

End With
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
i have a code below where it sections out 18,000 rows from a "master List" into new sheets and i thought that maybe i could work the coding you made into this code so that as soon it adds the 18,000 rows into a new sheet it runs the e-mail macro. unfortunately i am still getting the error with the "R.Cells(i, 1).Offset(1, 0).Resize(UBound(sV), 8).Insert shift:=xlDown", is it still because of the data limits you said it could be?
Excel 2007 and later versions have 1,048,576 rows on a worksheet. Your 18,000 records would have to each have on average 59 email addresses to cause the data to overflow the sheet. If that's not the case, then something else is causing the code to bug. If you PM me I will give you an email address where you could send your workbook or a sample of it and I will try to resolve the issue and adapt the code so it splits the data into several sheets and does the reorganizing you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back