VBA - populating outlook "To" & "Subject" from Excel and attach .pdf from folder.

miroe250

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I was wondering if this is even possible to be done with VBA.
I have to send roughly 1000 emails per month. They give me an excel with 2 collums: the first one is the full name which is the subject of the email and I search the .pdf that I need to attach. The second collum is the email of the receiver which I insert in the "To".
I've search in this forum and found this send multiple emails with spreadsheet attachments with a macro which is very close to the thing I need but I can't figure out how to change the code to accomodate my needs. ( i've tried adding additional variable and another loop, but I've been stuck even before that "Dim rng As Range, c As Range, i As Long, v As Variant, lastRow As Long", VBA says I didn't declare it and I can't figure what it wants.
Also there is a bit tricky part that I don't think is possible to be coded. There is 8 digits part of the name of the .pdf which is GDPR sensitive and I manually edit every .pdf before attaching it to the email, is it possible to edit the name of the .pdf and delete the first 8 digits.
Additionally I've already found a code to insert specify "From" ( team e-mail) and specific template of the body of the email. - credits :

VBA Code:
Sub Send_from_another()

Dim OutApp As Object
Dim OutMail As Object
Dim strbody As String

Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)

strbody = "<p>template here</p>" & _

On Error Resume Next
With OutMail
.SentOnBehalfOfName = ("team email")
.To = ""
.CC = ""
.BCC = ""
.Subject = ""
.Display
.HTMLBody = strbody & .HTMLBody

End With
On Error GoTo 0

Set OutMail = Nothing
Set OutApp = Nothing

End Sub

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Ok did some progress thanks to ChatGPT.
It turns out I have to do the VBA in the excel itself, I was trying to do in OutLook.
Now this code successfully creates new emails and it fills To and Subject.
I had to scrap the idea to where the attachment had to be searched by the full name because 2 people can have the same full name. I didn't mention it but I had a third collum with this *10 digit unique identifier. So I can search by using this third collum and I still need to remove it from the name of the pdf.

VBA Code:
Sub SendEmailFromExcel()
    Dim OutlookApp As Outlook.Application
    Dim OutlookMail As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim i As Long

Set OutlookApp = New Outlook.Application
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1") ' change "Sheet1" to the name of your worksheet
    LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row ' get the last row with data in column A

strbody = "<p>template here</p>" & _

For i = 2 To LastRow ' loop through the rows in the worksheet, starting at row 2 (row 1 is the header row)
        Set OutlookMail = OutlookApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) ' create a new email message
        With OutlookMail
            .SentOnBehalfOfName = ("teamemail")
            .To = ws.Cells(i, 1).Value ' set the "To" field to the value in column A of the current row
            .Subject = ws.Cells(i, 2).Value ' set the "Subject" field to the value in column B of the current row
            .Display ' display the email message so you can review it before sending
        End With
    Next i
End Sub
Posting this if someone else needs it as it is now in a working condition.

VBA Code:
Sub SendEmailFromExcel()
    Dim OutlookApp As Outlook.Application
    Dim OutlookMail As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim i As Long
    Dim FileName As String
    Dim FilePath As String
    Dim SearchValue As String

Set OutlookApp = New Outlook.Application
    Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1") ' change "Sheet1" to the name of your worksheet
    LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row ' get the last row with data in column A

For i = 2 To LastRow ' loop through the rows in the worksheet, starting at row 2 (row 1 is the header row)
        Set OutlookMail = OutlookApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) ' create a new email message
        With OutlookMail
            .To = ws.Cells(i, 1).Value ' set the "To" field to the value in column A of the current row
            .Subject = ws.Cells(i, 2).Value ' set the "Subject" field to the value in column B of the current row
            SearchValue = ws.Cells(i, 3).Value ' get the value in column C of the current row
            FilePath = "C:\path\to\folder\" ' change this to the path of the folder where the PDF files are located
            FileName = Dir(FilePath & "*" & SearchValue & "*.pdf") ' get the name of the PDF file with the search value in it
            FileName = Replace(FileName, SearchValue, "") ' remove the search value from the file name
            FileName = Replace(FileName, FilePath, "") ' remove the file path from the file name
            .Attachments.Add FilePath & FileName ' attach the PDF file to the email
            .Display ' display the email message so you can review it before sending
        End With
    Next i
End Sub
This is what ChatGPT have offered me for the attachment thing but it's not working, will appreciate if anyone helps me out here :)

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub SendEmailFromExcel()

Dim EApp As Outlook.Application
Set EApp = New Outlook.Application
Dim EItem As Outlook.MailItem
Set EItem = EApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)
Dim path As String
Dim strbody
path = "\" 'put your path here
Dim RList As Range
Set RList = Range("A2", Range("a2").End(xlDown))
Dim R As Range

strbody = "<p >template</p>" 

For Each R In RList
    Set EItem = EApp.CreateItem(0)
        With EItem
        .SentOnBehalfOfName = ("team_email")
        .To = R.Offset(0, 1)
        .Subject = R.Offset(0, 0)
        .Attachments.Add (path & R.Offset(0, 3) + ".pdf")
        .Display
End With
Next R
Set EApp = Nothing
Set EItem = Nothing
End Sub
Scrapped and found another way to do it
Credits to this video:
So I'm at the final phase and probably the most difficult for me.
You see in this cell: R.offset(0,3) there are numbers 0000000000
I want to search for the file by that value and when it finds it in the folder to rename it excluding this numbers
and the file name is "0000000000_FIRTS_MIDDLE_LAST_Statement"
How do I get the attached file to be in this format "FIRST_MIDDLE_LAST_STATEMENT"?

Upvote 0
Well this is the sollution I've been looking for, if anyone has the same situatuion this would help him.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back