VBA program to get information from website not working 100%

JohnPeter

Hey,

I'm trying to create something in Excel so that we are able to know when our standards go out of date, as - for some unknown reason - this is not something that can be done online or via. a reliable service.

Essentially, I have column with standards, ie. AS_4021_1 and another column with the date of the standard, ie. 2018. My intentions are to run a macro in vba that will open IE, take the standard name and search it through '
https://infostore.saiglobal.com/en-au/Search/All/?searchTerm="STANDARD NAME HERE"', return the title of the first result from this webpage (which can be used to retrieve the year of the most current publication) and create a hyperlink.

From here I will be able to run the macro, see all publications which are supposedly out of date and follow the hyperlinks to see where either the macro has returned the wrong result, or our publication is out of date.

Currently I have;

Code:
    Dim cell As Range, Rng As Range

Sheets("Check").Range("B2:B" & Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Select

For Each cell In Rng
        If cell.Hyperlinks.Count = 0 Then
            ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=cell, _
               Address:="https://infostore.saiglobal.com/en-au/Search/All/?searchTerm=" & cell.Value
        End If
    Next
This just sets the range as all cells with a value in the standard name column, and creates the hyperlinks in these cells. (These cells are taken automatically from another worksheet). This part seems to work fine.

Code:
    Dim IE As Object

Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    IE.Visible = False

For Each cell In Rng

With cell
            IE.navigate "https://infostore.saiglobal.com/en-au/Search/All/?searchTerm=" & cell.Value

While IE.Busy
                DoEvents
            Wend

Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:03"))

cell.Offset(, 2) = IE.document.getElementsByClassName("product-item--body span10")(0).innerText
       End With
    Next

End Sub

This is where I am encountering two errors, the first being the '=IE.document.getElementsByClassName' which is giving me all of the innertext of "product-item--bodyspan10" when all i'm wanting is the AS"####-##" bit.

The second problem being I have to include the Application.wait as without this I seem to receive multiple of the same result (as i'm guessing IE just cannot keep up with the program, and the while IE.Busy doesn't seem to alleviate this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Does this return the desired information?

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]cell.Offset(, 2) = [/COLOR]IE.document.getElementsByClassName("product-item--body span10")(0).getElementsByTagName("a")(0).innerText

Upvote 0
Does this return the desired information?

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]cell.Offset(, 2) = [/COLOR]IE.document.getElementsByClassName("product-item--body span10")(0).getElementsByTagName("a")(0).innerText

Yep, did a bit of googling and came up with

Code:
cell.Offset(, 2) = IE.document.getElementsByClassName("product-item--body span10")(0).firstElementChild.innerText

Which I think is the same thing, it's all working now but I would like to perhaps change the application.wait to a better method.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Yep, did a bit of googling and came up with

Code:
cell.Offset(, 2) = IE.document.getElementsByClassName("product-item--body span10")(0).firstElementChild.innerText

Which I think is the same thing, it's all working now...

Yeah, that will do it as well. :)

...but I would like to perhaps change the application.wait to a better method.

With the following code, first it makes sure that the HTML document and specified element are available. Then, if for some reason it's taking too long to load a webpage and find the specified element, a message will pop up after the specified time (in seconds), asking whether you want to continue with the same item. If you answer yes, it will try again. If you answer no, it will proceed with the next item. And, if you answer cancel, it will abort the procedure altogether. As it stands, it is set to keep trying after 30 seconds has elapsed. You can change this as desired. Try it, and see know how it works out.

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub test()

Dim IE As Object
    Dim HTMLDoc As Object
    Dim HTMLEle As Object
    Dim rCell As Range
    Dim Rng As Range
    Dim StartTime As Single
    Dim Counter As Long
    Dim Ans As Long

Const SECONDS_TO_KEEP_TRYING As Long = 30 'change the duration as desired

Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
    IE.Visible = False

Set Rng = Range("A2:A10") 'change accordingly

On Error Resume Next
    For Each rCell In Rng
        If rCell.Value <> "" Then
            IE.navigate "https://infostore.saiglobal.com/en-au/Search/All/?searchTerm=" & rCell.Value
            While IE.Busy Or IE.ReadyState <> 4 'READYSTATE_COMPLETE
                DoEvents
            Wend
            StartTime = Timer
            Do
                If HTMLDoc Is Nothing Then
                    Set HTMLDoc = IE.document
                Else
                    Set HTMLEle = HTMLDoc.getElementsByClassName("product-item--body span10")(0).getElementsByTagName("a")(0)
                    If Not HTMLEle Is Nothing Then
                        rCell.Offset(, 2) = HTMLEle.innerText
                        Exit Do
                    End If
                End If
                If Timer - StartTime > SECONDS_TO_KEEP_TRYING Then
                    Ans = MsgBox("Continue searching for " & rCell.Value & "?", vbYesNoCancel, "Continue?")
                    If Ans = vbNo Then Exit Do
                    If Ans = vbCancel Then GoTo ExitTheSub
                    StartTime = Timer
                End If
            Loop
            Set HTMLDoc = Nothing
            Set HTMLEle = Nothing
        End If
    Next rCell
    On Error GoTo 0

ExitTheSub:
    Set IE = Nothing
    Set HTMLDoc = Nothing
    Set HTMLEle = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back