PATSYS50

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

How could I make the below code work without hardcoding the filename

VBA Code:
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("AQ2).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(MID(RC[-42],25,19),'Macro File.xlsm'!Table1,2,FALSE)"

The reason is to avoid error when someone changes the filename.

By the way, Sheet1 is in another workbook.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I'ld suggest to include some vba-code in the "Macro File.xlsm" itself, that prevents it from being saved under a different name.
That doesn't help of course if the name is changed or if the file is deleted via explorer. Make it a hidden file and writeprotected to give at least some security.
I can't think of a way to reference a second file without the name - but maybe there are more knowledgeable guys here?

Upvote 0
I'ld suggest to include some vba-code in the "Macro File.xlsm" itself, that prevents it from being saved under a different name.
That doesn't help of course if the name is changed or if the file is deleted via explorer. Make it a hidden file and writeprotected to give at least some security.
I can't think of a way to reference a second file without the name - but maybe there are more knowledgeable guys here?

Hi Zyndstoff,
The codes reside in Macro File.xlsm. I am thinking maybe the expression "Thisworkbook" might do the job.

Anyway thanks for your post.

Upvote 0
maybe two options:
1- Place in a specific folder with only single file. Then code should refer to that folder to get the only file, not the filename.
2- Use a specific cell in that file to store a special indentify information. for instant, Cell A1="This is my file"
Then loop through filenames to find which file with cell A1 that got "This is my file"

Upvote 0
Hi,
Try this:
VBA Code:
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("AQ2").FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(MID(RC[-42],25,19),'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!Table1,2,FALSE)"

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi,
Try this:
VBA Code:
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("AQ2").FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(MID(RC[-42],25,19),'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!Table1,2,FALSE)"
"Sheet1" resides in different workbook. So if you call this code from the workbook where "Sheet1" is in (as I presume, since sheets("sheet1").Range("AQ2").FormulaR1C1= does not reference a specific workbook), this shouldn't work?

Upvote 0
Sheets("Sheet1") will refer to a sheet in the active workbook (just as it did in the original code).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back