VBA replace Values and Xvalues in charts series

jcosta92

Hello,

I need a code to read and replace the values and xvalues of a chart series, specifically the row numbers. Can someone help? By now, the code I have doesn't get the values and xvalues as msgbox is a blank.

Code:
Sub test()
Dim cht As ChartObject
Dim srs As Series
Dim sht As Worksheet
Dim rng As String
Dim rngx As String
Dim i As Long
Dim j As Long

Set sht = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet

For Each cht In sht.ChartObjects
    cht.Activate

For i = 1 To ActiveChart.SeriesCollection.Count
    With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(i)
    .XValues = rngx
    .Values = rng

MsgBox rngx 'returns a blank

'after this fixed I need to get the first and last rows of Xvalues and Values and be able to replace them maybe with the replace function!!!

End With
    Next i
Next cht

End Sub

Thank you

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Not sure if the code will work because I have never done this with charts but it seems you might want to change "rngx = Activechart.Seriescollection(i)". Likewise for rng.

Upvote 0
Still with
Code:
rngx=XValues
it gives me a blank...it should give me something like "=Sheet1!'A2:A:10". What I need it to get, for example, the values of the rows (in this case 2 and 10) and replace them with my own values...something like:

Code:
frow= "first row of the range of Values"
lrow="last row of range of Values"
srs.Formula = WorksheetFunction.Substitute(srs.Formula, frow, i)
srs.Formula = WorksheetFunction.Substitute(srs.Formula, lrow, j)

Upvote 0
I don't think the "With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(I)" sees the .XLValues in your new code. Get rid of the With…and EndWith and try “rngx = Activechart.Seriescollection(i).XValues” and rng= Activechart.Seriescollection(i).Values”. I have not tried any of this so I do not know that it is going to work…there might be other syntax errors.

Consider creating dynamic named ranges and using those for your chart series. Relatively easy to adjust ranges that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think the "With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(I)" sees the .XLValues in your new code. Get rid of the With…and EndWith and try “rngx = Activechart.Seriescollection(i).XValues” and rng= Activechart.Seriescollection(i).Values”. I have not tried any of this so I do not know that it is going to work…there might be other syntax errors.

Consider creating dynamic named ranges and using those for your chart series. Relatively easy to adjust ranges that way.

Thank you for your help.

It still gives me an error thought.

Upvote 0
This is the only way that I could find half of the information you are looking for with VBA.

Code:
Sub test()

Dim cht As ChartObject
    Dim srs As Series
    Dim wb As Workbook
    Dim sht As Worksheet
    Dim rng As String
    Dim rngx As String
    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long

Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
    Set sht = wb.ActiveSheet

For Each cht In sht.ChartObjects

For i = 1 To cht.Chart.SeriesCollection.Count

rng = cht.Chart.SeriesCollection(i).Formula
                MsgBox rng

Next i

Next cht

End Sub

The syntax for charts is not intuitive at all for someone like me who is self-taught/learning. It took me about an hour to figure this much out. From my experience, using dynamic named ranges for controlling chart data is the way to go. I had a spreadsheet with test data from about 100 samples with thousands of data points for each and I was able to dynamically select the sample number and range of data I wanted to look at and the charts would update fast. Named ranges with using OFFSET and MATCH. VBA would be fast once you spend the time to learn the syntax and set it up. With that being said, I do use VBA to update the bounds along with minor and major units because I have not found a way to control those on the sheet if the "automatic" are not what you want.

With that, I'm tapping out of this one...not enough time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back