Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I am working on the following code:

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Address = "B13" Then

Dim cellValue1 As String
        cellValue1 = Target.Value

If cellValue1 = "No" Then

Range("B14:B15").Locked = True
            Range("B14:B15").Value = 0
            MsgBox "If you have selected ""No"" in the previous question, you can't enter a value here."

Else

Range("B14:B15").Locked = False

End If

End If
End Sub

In B13 user can choose from a validation list "Yes" or "No". If they choose "No" then B14 & B15 should lock (meaning they shouldn't be able to enter a value) and if there was a value other than 0, it should reset to 0. Sometimes users may first answer "Yes" enter values in B14 and B15 then decide to change B13 to "No". If they do so, I need to lock and reset B14 and B15. However, this code isn't doing what I need. Please note that I also have other Workshee_Change events for the same sheet. If I try to use it on a new book, sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. On the original file, it never works. The macros are enabled from the options. Any idea on what is wrong? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using data validation to restrict users from entering values is the answer is "No".
Do you mean Data Validation in B14 and B15? If so, there has been no mention of that up until now that I know of so I was not aware. Your continued use of the term "Lock" in relation to cells implies the concept of protecting the worksheet after using this feature in the format of cells:

1678162826505.png

If you are blocking entry to B14:B15 with data validation, that is fairly weak since the user can paste something in there and it will over-ride/remove the data validation

I tried to reply "no" or "nO" but it wouldn't let me with my current mediocre code.
Code? Do you mean vba code? Post 1 indicated the Yes/No was Data validation:
In B13 user can choose from a validation list "Yes" or "No".

the user should never have to enter a password and should never be able to edit some cells.
If the worksheet is protected, even with a password, the user should never have to enter that password provided you set up appropriate cells a "Locked" or "not Locked" before the worksheet is protected. You would do well to do some research/reading about protecting worksheets

Pretty hard to give much specific advice as I feel that I do not have a very good understanding of your worksheet and what you are trying to achieve.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Do you mean Data Validation in B14 and B15? If so, there has been no mention of that up until now that I know of so I was not aware. Your continued use of the term "Lock" in relation to cells implies the concept of protecting the worksheet after using this feature in the format of cells:

View attachment 86924

If you are blocking entry to B14:B15 with data validation, that is fairly weak since the user can paste something in there and it will over-ride/remove the data validation

Code? Do you mean vba code? Post 1 indicated the Yes/No was Data validation:

If the worksheet is protected, even with a password, the user should never have to enter that password provided you set up appropriate cells a "Locked" or "not Locked" before the worksheet is protected. You would do well to do some research/reading about protecting worksheets

Pretty hard to give much specific advice as I feel that I do not have a very good understanding of your worksheet and what you are trying to achieve.
Thanks again. I will read up on how to protect a worksheet. Meanwhile, could you suggest me how to use cell names for target as well as for range?
"
If Target.Name.Name = "match_yn" Then
... "
but
"
Range("contr").Value = 0
" didn't work

VBA Code:
  If Target.Name.Name = "match_yn" Then

If LCase(Target.Value) = "no" Then
      Application.EnableEvents = False
      Range("contr").Value = 0
      Application.EnableEvents = True
      Range("contr").Locked = True
      MsgBox "You have selected ""No"" in the previous question so you can't enter a value here."
    Else
      Range("contr").Locked = False
    End If

End If

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
If Target.Address = Range("match_yn").Address Then

Upvote 1
@VARD
To help future readers, please 'Mark as solution' the post that answered your original question, if there is one. You had marked post #13 but that has nothing to do with the original question so I have removed that mark.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back