VBA resize table on a protected sheet

willow1985

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have been trying to solve a problem with a table that is on a protected sheet.

As I am sure many of you know Tables do not auto expand when the sheet is protected. I do however need the table to expand and have the sheet protected.

Any advise on a work around for this would be greatly appreciated.

Note: One of my ideas was to set off a macro when new data was entered in column C that would unlock the spreadsheet, expand the table and then re-lock the spreadsheet but I cannot seem to make this work/find the right code to expand the table without knowing the exact range.

The data starts at A3 and goes to the last row of data in column W, however there are some blanks periodically in various columns. The only column that does not have any blanks is column C.

The locked formulas are in columns L,M and N, there are other formulas that are not locked however in other columns.

There will also be situations when a macro will dump large blocks of data will be pasted in the last blank row in column A to column G so I don't know if using "new data in column C" as a trigger would work..

I hope someone can help as I feel stumped on this one.

My table name is "MF"

Thank you!

VBA Code:
If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C:C")) Is Nothing Then
    If Target.Value <> "" Then

Worksheets("Master Forecast").Unprotect Password:="2150"

'Code to resize table or bring down data by 1 row??

Worksheets("Master Forecast").Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:= _
        False, AllowFormattingCells:=True, AllowFormattingColumns:=True, _
        AllowFormattingRows:=True, AllowInsertingColumns:=True, AllowInsertingRows _
        :=True, AllowInsertingHyperlinks:=True, AllowDeletingColumns:=True, _
        AllowDeletingRows:=True, AllowSorting:=True, AllowFiltering:=True, _
        AllowUsingPivotTables:=True, Password:="2150"

End If
End Sub

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Bit of a wild idea, but how about using selection change to unlock the sheet when the use selects a range that can be edited or to protect it when they select a range that should be locked?
That should allow the table to resize automatically.

There will also be situations when a macro will dump large blocks of data will be pasted in the last blank row in column A to column G so I don't know if using "new data in column C" as a trigger would work..

Simply add unprotect code to the beginning of that macro and protect code at the end. There is another method if you have several macros that all require access to a protected sheet, but this is easier if it's only for one. Again, this should allow it to resize automatically.

Upvote 0
Bit of a wild idea, but how about using selection change to unlock the sheet when the use selects a range that can be edited or to protect it when they select a range that should be locked?
That should allow the table to resize automatically.

Simply add unprotect code to the beginning of that macro and protect code at the end. There is another method if you have several macros that all require access to a protected sheet, but this is easier if it's only for one. Again, this should allow it to resize automatically.

I am not sure what you mean by using selection change to unlock the sheet etc. I am still very new to vba and a lot of the terms.
Could you give an example of the code?

Upvote 0
Sure, here's a quick example based on what you had in post 1, this goes into the worksheet module (right click sheet name in excel, then view code).

If the selected range includes any cell(s) in columns L:N then the sheet will be locked, if the selected range doesn't include any of those columns then the sheet will be locked.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("L:N")) Is Nothing Then
    Me.Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:= _
Else
    Me.Unprotect Password:="2150"
End If
End Sub
Note that this will most likely not work with your macro to bulk copy and paste, in which case, you can simply unprotect as the first part of that macro and reprotect as the last thing.

Upvote 0
It worked however now it will not allow me to unprotect the sheet manually now. Every time I do it seems to instantly re-protect it...
I tried un-protecting it to delete the test row I made but as soon as I select the row it protects the sheet again.

Certain individuals still need to be able to unprotect it to make adjustments and not have it lock on them. Is there any way to make it only execute if new data is entered in column C?

Upvote 0
Sure, here's a quick example based on what you had in post 1, this goes into the worksheet module (right click sheet name in excel, then view code).

If the selected range includes any cell(s) in columns L:N then the sheet will be locked, if the selected range doesn't include any of those columns then the sheet will be locked.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("L:N")) Is Nothing Then
    Me.Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:= _
Else
    Me.Unprotect Password:="2150"
End If
End Sub
Note that this will most likely not work with your macro to bulk copy and paste, in which case, you can simply unprotect as the first part of that macro and reprotect as the last thing.

It worked however now it will not allow me to unprotect the sheet manually to make adjustments. Every time I do it seems to instantly re-protect it...
I tried un-protecting it to delete the test row I made but as soon as I select the row it protects the sheet again.

Certain individuals still need to be able to unprotect it to make adjustments and not have it lock on them. Is there any way to make it only execute if new data is entered in column C?

Upvote 0
I tried un-protecting it to delete the test row I made but as soon as I select the row it protects the sheet again
If you select a single cell then right click and delete the row without selecting then it over-rides this. The idea seemed good earlier, but in hindsight I think it's leaving the sheet too vulnerable.

I'll give it some more thought, I think that I can get your idea to work but need to set up a sheet and test it first, although I don't think that I'll get it done until tomorrow now.

Upvote 0
If you select a single cell then right click and delete the row without selecting then it over-rides this. The idea seemed good earlier, but in hindsight I think it's leaving the sheet too vulnerable.

I'll give it some more thought, I think that I can get your idea to work but need to set up a sheet and test it first, although I don't think that I'll get it done until tomorrow now.

Thank you very much. My Goal is mainly to protect the formulas located in L:N, the headers of the table (Row 2) and 1 cell in A1.

I am fine with the users deleting rows, just not columns. In fact it will be a common practice for the users to delete rows.
Most of the individuals who will be using the sheet are pretty competent but as a precaution we are trying to avoid a slip up of deleting a formula or table header by mistake.

Thank you again for all of your help. I will check back tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Here is a link to an example sheet if this helps.

Note: This is not the original sheet and I did not protect the sheet with a password

Upvote 0
The closest I have gotten is creating a macro that will run any time new data is entered in column C:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C:C")) Is Nothing Then
    If Target.Value <> "" Then Call Macro5
  End If
End Sub

Then Macro5 runs:

VBA Code:
Worksheets("Master Forecast").Unprotect Password:="2150"

Range("L2").End(xlDown).Select

ActiveCell.Range("A1:C1").Select

Selection.AutoFill Destination:=ActiveCell.Range("A1:C2"), Type:= _

xlFillDefault

Worksheets("Master Forecast").Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:= _

This brings down the formula in L:N but it also moves any new typed data down a row. Close but no cigar *sigh

I hope you guys have better ideas then I do ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back