VBA Returning a Range

Blammdon1

Board Regular
I can't find this anywhere on the net and it may sound stupid but, how do i return an actual range from a user created function so that another function say the MIN function can use that value to look at that range. (I mean like an actual Range, one that turns blue in excel not the values in that range)
Example:
Public Function Example(Column1 as String, Row1 as Integer, Column2 as String, Row2 as Integer )

Example= ?????? 'What should this return be?

End Function

Then use this in the min function
MIN(Test("G",3,"G",7)
It should return the minimum value in the Range "G3:G7"

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Code:
Public Function Test(c1 As String, r1 As Long, c2 As String, r2 As Long) As Excel.Range
  Set Test = Range(c1 & r1 & ":" & c2 & r2)
End Function

Upvote 0
yeah that was what i had at first, but it only returns the values in that range. I want it to return the actual range,
Example:
Test("G",1,"G",7) would have to return the usable range G1:G7 not the values of that range

Upvote 0
It returns an array, which for all intents and purposes is like a range. So if you said, for instance:

=MATCH(G4,Test("G",1,"G",7),0)

you would get a result of 4. It works for MIN as well. If you calculate just the Test() portion, you would get the same result as you would if you calculated G1:G7. So what are you trying to do that this is not useable?

Upvote 0
Yeah i know what you mean...I thought it would work first (the way you had it) but say i want to use this function to do a COUNTIF with the range i was wanting to use being the range i got from the Test() function. I would have to have it return the range and not the values.

Upvote 0
I have some numbers in column H right now. Three of them are negative. This formula:

=COUNTIF(Test("h",4,"h",25),"<0")

returns 3, which is correct. Now I add 1, 10, and 100 in the column just to the right, next to each of the negative numbers. This formula:

=SUMIF(Test("h",4,"h",25),"<0",I4:I25)

returns 111, which is correct. So does this one:

=SUMIF(Test("h",4,"h",25),"<0",Test("i",4,"i",25))

Upvote 0
Return the type as variant.
Code:
Public Function Test(c1 As String, r1 As Long, c2 As String, r2 As Long) As Variant
End Function

Upvote 0
Ok i dont know what the deal is, i pasted your function into a new module and i pasted the values (with 3 being negative) into row H and then put the COUNTIF function in another cell and i still get the same #VALUE!
I would really like it if there was just a way to show the actual range and not it values but i'm ok with your idea now, but as of now that doesn't even work.

Upvote 0
Return the type as variant.
Code:
Public Function Test(c1 As String, r1 As Long, c2 As String, r2 As Long) As Variant
End Function

Yeah i tried that earlier that just gives me the same problem by returning just the values and not the actual range Ex: "A1:A7". Ah well i'm giving up for weekend.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back