VBA-Save file, paste data and email to a user-Almost there, just need a little more

MikeyW1969

Board Regular
Hi Guys,
I posted a question earlier about how to save with a prompted name and the date appended, and I got that answered. I also have my code set to select ONLY the rows filled and paste them into the body of an email, and send that email. I also want to attach the current file. THis makes it so my recipient can see the relevant data(It's just a supplies ordering form I created) right in the body of his email, but he also has a file to save for later, but I can't get it to attach the file. I'm sure that it's because I'm piecing this all together from different sources, but it's the big sticking point.

Here is my code:

Code:
Sub SaveAndEmail()
  ' Prompts for name, appends date and saves file as NON Macr-enabled file
  ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs ("C:\Users\ThisIsMe\Documents\Supplies and Parts Odering\" & InputBox("Filename?") & "_" & Month(Now()) & "_" & Day(Now()) & "_" & Year(Now()) & ".xlsm")

'Selects only rows with data
  Range("A1").Resize(Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlRows, _
      SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlValues).Row, _
      Cells.Find(What:="*", SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
      SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, LookIn:=xlValues).Column).Select

' Show the envelope on the ActiveWorkbook.
   ActiveWorkbook.EnvelopeVisible = True

' Set the optional introduction field thats adds
   ' some header text to the email body. It also sets
   ' the To and Subject lines. Finally the message
   ' is sent.
   With ActiveSheet.MailEnvelope
      .Introduction = "This is a sample worksheet."
      .Item.To = "emailaddress@gmail.com"
      .Item.Subject = "My subject"
      .Attachments.Add (ActiveWorkbook.FullName)
      .Item.Send
   End With
      ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True
End Sub

Everything works fine, except that I get an error that is definitely attached to the .Attachments.Add (ActiveWorkbook.FullName) line, because if I comment that line out, it works fine. The error is Run-time error '438' 'Object doesn't support this property or method'.

The final piece of the puzzle is getting it to let me save the final workbook as a non-macro file. This isn't critical, but if my purchaser doesn't have to click 'Enable Macros', it would be better. Right now, it saves as .xslm just fine, but if I change that extension to .xslm, it gives me an error. Is this fixable, or am I doing that part wrong? I basically want my current file to have the macros so that I can run this script, but don't need any macros in the final one that I email out.

As always, thanks for the help, this is a great community!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I am not sure why you can't save the file as .xlsx.

With regard to the attachment, you are trying to send the wrong thing.

If it were me I would use activeworkbook.path &

and then set the remaining part of the address to a variable
so this part InputBox("Filename?") & "_" & Month(Now()) & "_" & Day(Now()) & "_" & Year(Now()) & ".xlsm")

I would set to a variable dim FN as string then set FN =
InputBox("Filename?") & "_" & Month(Now()) & "_" & Day(Now()) & "_" & Year(Now()) & ".xlsx")

so this line
.Attachments.Add (ActiveWorkbook.FullName) becomes .Attachments.Add Activeworkbook.path & FN

Upvote 0
So this was overwhelming at first, I was getting confused. After sitting on it for the night, I think I figured it out.

Instead of just attaching "The currently open document", you're suggesting that I create a variable that basically points to the file that I just saved, so the whole thing points right to the location that I had defined earlier when I saved the file the first time(As well as using the name I gave the file), correct? I was getting confused because I thought that you were also suggesting how to redo the 'Save' part and define the location.

I'll try this. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back