VBA Solver Loop is running extremly slowly in excel 2016

stippett

Firstly I want to thank everyone who uses this site, it has helped me get where I am today, this is the first time I have come across a problem I haven't been able to find a solution for.

I have written a macro that is essentially solving for the intersection between a line and a high order polynomial function. I am using the Solver add in to determine the solutions but depending on the set up of the sheet this needs to run 100's of times and it is taking an extremely long time (15-20 minutes).

I have added any optimization techniques I know of (disabling screen updating, events, statusbar, etc) and have run out of ideas. here is the section of code I need help with:

Code:
Sub SolverCoping()
    'solves for beam elevations to set haunch thickness to
    Application.DisplayStatusBar = False

Dim i, j, s, t, k As Integer
    Dim PerpIntersect, PerpLine, Deck As String
    Dim NumSpans As Integer
    Dim NumBeams As Integer
    Dim db As Integer
    Dim LoopCounter As Integer
    Dim LoopMax As Integer

Dim AllowCope As Double
    Dim AllowCopeR As String
    Dim MinCope As String
    Dim TopBeam As String
    Dim StartDeckElev As String
    Dim count As Integer
    Dim StartOffset As Integer

Sheet3.Select

NumBeams = Range("C7").Value
    NumSpans = Range("C6").Value

Sheet7.Select

TopBeam = Range("I10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 11, 0).Address
    StartDeckElev = Range("I10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 4, 0).Address

PerpIntersect = Range("I10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 13, 0).Address
    PerpLine = Range("I10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 12, 0).Address
    Deck = Range("I10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 6, 0).Address
    LoopMax = 3 * NumSpans * NumBeams * 12
    LoopMax = LoopMax * 1.1     'adds 10% so the set up is 5% and the summary and charts are 5%
    LoopCounter = Round(LoopMax * 0.05, 0)  ' starts solver percentage at 5%
'            db = "error"
            'NumSpans = 1

For k = 0 To 2      'runs program multiple times do to iterative nature
    If k = 0 Then MinCope = Range("T10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 18, 0).Address Else MinCope = Range("T10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 17, 0).Address

For s = 0 To NumSpans - 1       'loops through spans

For i = 0 To NumBeams - 1   'loops through beams
            AllowCopeR = Range("G10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 17 + i, s * 15).Address
            'top of beam solver code here~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            SolverReset
            SolverOk SetCell:=Range(MinCope).Offset(i, s * 15).Address, MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:=0, ByChange:=Range(TopBeam).Offset(i, s * 15), _
                Engine:=1, EngineDesc:="GRG Nonlinear"
            SolverAdd CellRef:=Range(MinCope).Offset(i, s * 15).Address, Relation:=2, FormulaText:=AllowCopeR
            SolverOk SetCell:=Range(MinCope).Offset(i, s * 15).Address, MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:=0, ByChange:=Range(TopBeam).Offset(i, s * 15), _
            SolverSolve (True)
            LoopCounter = LoopCounter + 1
            'Application.StatusBar = LoopCounter & " of " & LoopMax & ", " & Format(LoopCounter / LoopMax, "0%") & " of Calculations Complete: "

If k = 2 Then
                'db = "error"
            End If
'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Start Perpendicular intersect~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            'If k = 2 Then GoTo skipPerp
            For t = 0 To 10         'loops through tenth points
'                db = "error"
                'intersection loop here~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                If t = 0 Then StartOffset = 2 Else StartOffset = 0

SolverReset
                SolverOk SetCell:=Range(PerpLine).Offset(i, t + s * 15).Address, MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:=0, ByChange:=Range(PerpIntersect).Offset(i, t + s * 15 - StartOffset).Address, _
               ' SolverDelete CellRef:=MinCope, Relation:=2, FormulaText:=AllowCopeR
                SolverAdd CellRef:=Range(PerpLine).Offset(i, t + s * 15).Address, Relation:=2, FormulaText:=Range(Deck).Offset(i, t + s * 15).Address
                SolverOk SetCell:=Range(PerpLine).Offset(i, t + s * 15).Address, MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:=0, ByChange:=Range(PerpIntersect).Offset(i, t + s * 15 - StartOffset).Address, _
                SolverSolve (True)

LoopCounter = LoopCounter + 1

'shows progress in statusbar
               ' Application.StatusBar = LoopCounter & " of " & LoopMax & ", " & Format(LoopCounter / LoopMax, "0%") & " of Calculations Complete: "

'    db = "error"
            Next
'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~end Perpendicular intersect~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
skipPerp:
'            db = "error"

Next
'        db = "error"
    Range(Range("M10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 19, s * 15), Range("M10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 19 + (NumBeams - 1), s * 15)).Copy
    Range("N10").Offset((NumBeams + 5) * 19, s * 15).PasteSpecial (xlPasteValues)

Next
'    db = Error

Next

Application.DisplayStatusBar = True

End Sub

I am running this in Excel 2016 on Windows 7

PC Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16 GB Ram

Thanks for any suggestions.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
First, you declared your variables slightly incorrectly (well, not incorrectly, just not with the type you are aiming for) :
Code:
Dim i, j, s, t, k As Integer
means that k is an integer and the rest are variant.

Traditionally, VBA programmers have used integers to hold small numbers, because they required less memory. In recent versions, however, VBA converts all integer values to type Long, even if they're declared as type Integer. So there's no longer a performance advantage to using Integer variables; in fact, Long variables may be slightly faster because VBA does not have to convert them.

Next, do you actually need to do the .Select, can you not reference the sheets directly instead, .Select is painfully slow.

If you can you make your math more efficient, i.e. if you can reduce the number of numerical operations, there are gains to be had there as well.

If you have any worksheet functions in your calculations, I suggest caution. When using worksheet functions in large, time consuming macros you should evaluate the impact of rewriting the function. Note that any command that starts with "Application." or "WorksheetFunction." is referring to an Excel function. I can't say that all "Application." functions are slow, but they can certainly have an impact.

I hope the above above might be of some use.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info on variable declaration changes,

I will change the .select for the sheets but that is not within the main loop so it only occurs once and wont make much of a difference.

I am not sure if I can the problem is quite intensive, but I will take a look at that again.

as for the worksheetfunctions I am not using any in this case, but I will keep that in mind.

thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back