VBA - Sort Data in Multiple Categories / Subcategories and Output into New Worksheet

Aqualung

Hey guys -

I have a bit of a complex question but I am trying to do some sorting / formatting with VBA and write a macro to help me sort through some large volumes of data. The dShouldata is stored in a table similar to what is shown below. A few key notes about the data:

The Data

• Column A has unique identifiers for all the data;
  • Column B has the Category 1 name. There are 8 of these in total;
  • Column C has subcategory names - Category 2. There may be 10-100 of these in a dataset, but in all cases they are mapped to Category 1 and consistent.
  • Column D has a rank of all the Unique IDs within Category 2;
  • Column E (through AZ) has actual numerical values for all of these unique IDs.

My Goal

I would like to re-order this entire dataset based on the following:

• First, Category 1 - for simplicity, we can assume that the 8 names within Category 1 will always be in the same order and can be ordered in some other table manually.
  • Then, I would like to sum up all balances that add up to the Category 2 names, and order all Category 2 names in largest to smallest format under Category 1 headings;
  • Under Category 2, I would like to order all Unique IDs based on their ranking in column D.

There are 2-3k entries to be sorted in this dataset. I would like to have this output to a new worksheet.

I'm a bit unsure where to start as I am a beginner with VBA. I've read some suggested websites and searched the internet all day today but haven't figured this out yet. Automated Excel was a good resource and I would welcome any other resource that the community thinks might help me with this issue. I figure that if I can come up with something that identifies (1) the unique category 2 names under each category 1 name, (2) their respective ranking, and (3) max of column D, then I can output those to a new range and loop through until I exhaust both category 2 and category 1 names, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet...

Any help is appreciated!

Column ABCDE
Unique IDCategory 1Category 2Ranking of $ value in Category 2$ value
10001A1Aa2$1,000
10011B1Ba1$2,000
10021A1Aa1$1,001

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back