VBA sub just stops randomly

Razorman

Hi guys

I am running a simple VBA macro which has 2 loops, and opens a source file, copies data to a target workbook, and then closes both files. The macro suddenly stops in the middle of execution - no warning or error message. I tried it a few times. There is no pattern to suggest that it stops at a certain trigger or step. Sometimes it stops and I can see the source workbook open. Sometimes it stops and only my Macro workbook is open. Sometimes it stops and all 3 files are open. This means it stops anywhere in the code execution.

I use the first loop to iterate through each source file, and then use the second loop to iterate through column headings.

Any ideas why this occurs and how to fix it?

I've seen a few threads which suggest that this "random stopping" is actually a common occurrence. However, the solutions seem really wild - some talk about changing the position of the scroll bar, Bob Umlas stated that he adds "Do Events" at random points in the sub, one suggestion gives a sequence of key presses with Ctrl+Esc. But all seem to be hit and miss.

Here is my code

VBA Code:
Sub CopyData()

Dim Starttime As String

Dim EndTime As String

Starttime = Time

Dim strSheetName As String

Dim strFileName As String

Dim strFilePath As String

Dim strDestPath As String

Dim Fullpath As String

Dim ImportSortCode As String

Dim IndexWkbk As Workbook ‘Index workbook contains list of source filenames, filepaths, and wb sheetnames

Dim LstRow As Long

Dim LstRow2 As Long

Dim LstCol2 As Long

Dim strCompCode As String

Dim lngHeaderRow As Long

Dim rngWBSHeader As Range

Dim SearchTerm As String

Dim ws As Worksheet

Dim Wb As Workbook ‘source workbook

Dim wbT As Workbook ‘target workbook

Dim lngTargetAdd As Range

Dim lngTargetCol As Long

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set IndexWkbk = ActiveWorkbook

IndexWkbk.Activate

Worksheets("CoLookup").Select

For i = 1 To 700 ‘using set range to loop through files. Data starts at row 4, thus use i+3 to reference each row

ImportSortCode = Range("AR" & i + 3).Text 'get importsortcode value. This is the naming convention used for the target file and will be used to push data to the target file.

strSheetName = Range("B" & i + 3).Text ‘get source sheetname from index workbook

strFileName = Range("A" & i + 3).Text ‘get source filename from index workbook

strFilePath = Range("P" & i + 3).Text ‘get source filepath from index workbook

strDestPath = "C:\AR Analysis\" & ImportSortCode & ".xlsm" ‘target Excel file already exists with a naming convention

Fullpath = Range("C" & i + 3).Text ‘get source file full path (dir & filename)

strCompCode = Range("T" & i + 3).Text 'determine search term according to Index workbook

'open source workbook as Read-Only

Set Wb = Workbooks.Open(FileName:=Fullpath, UpdateLinks:=False, ReadOnly:=True)

Wb.Sheets(strSheetName).Select ‘navigate to source sheet

'search for CoCode to determine headingrow, then find last row and last column

lngHeaderRow = Cells.Find(what:=strCompCode, After:=Range("A1"), LookIn:=xlFormulas2, _

lookat:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _

MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Row

LstRow = Range("A" & lngHeaderRow).End(xlDown).Row

'copy headings across from indexworkbook

IndexWkbk.Activate

Sheets("CoLookup").Range("T" & i + 3 & ":AQ" & i + 3).Copy

Wb.Activate ‘replace headings in source workbook

Wb.Sheets(strSheetName).Select

Range("a" & lngHeaderRow).Select

Range("a" & lngHeaderRow).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

Application.CutCopyMode = False

'open Target workbook

Set wbT = Workbooks.Open(FileName:=strDestPath, UpdateLinks:=False, ReadOnly:=False)

wbT.Activate

Sheets("Sheet1").Select

LstRow2 = Cells(Rows.Count, "EB").End(xlUp).Row 'Find last used row

LstCol2 = 131 'hardcode to column EA

'iterate through each column to copy-paste data

For j = 1 To LstCol2

SearchTerm = wbT.Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, j).Text 'obtain each search term from each column in target workbook row1

Wb.Activate ‘search for column in source workbook, then copy data from that column back into target workbook

Wb.Sheets(strSheetName).Select

'search for search term in source header row

Set rngWBSHeader = Range(lngHeaderRow & ":" & lngHeaderRow).Find(what:=SearchTerm, After:=Range("A" & lngHeaderRow), LookIn:=xlFormulas, _

lookat:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _

MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)

If Not rngWBSHeader Is Nothing Then

Range(Cells(lngHeaderRow + 1, rngWBSHeader.Column), Cells(LstRow, rngWBSHeader.Column)).Copy 'copy data from column

wbT.Activate

Sheets("Sheet1").Select

Cells(LstRow2 + 1, j).Select 'go to last used row, and select one below

Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

Application.CutCopyMode = False

End If

Set rngWBSHeader = Nothing 'clear memory

Next j

wbT.Activate ‘use this in case rngWBSHeader is nothing

Sheets("Sheet1").Select

‘insert source data filename and sheetname

Range("EB" & LstRow2 + 1 & ": EB" & LstRow2 + 1 + LstRow - lngHeaderRow - 1).FormulaR1C1 = Fullpath

Range("EC" & LstRow2 + 1 & ": EC" & LstRow2 + 1 + LstRow - lngHeaderRow - 1).FormulaR1C1 = strSheetName

wbT.Save

wbT.Close

Wb.Close SaveChanges:=False 'close source, no changes

IndexWkbk.Activate ‘do I need this line to return to the IndexWorkbook?

Worksheets("CoLookup").Select

‘create labels to show which lines have been processed

Debug.Print i

Range("AW" & i + 3).FormulaR1C1 = "ok" 'log which item has been cleared

Range("AX" & i + 3).FormulaR1C1 = lngHeaderRow 'source sheet table header row

Range("AY" & i + 3).FormulaR1C1 = LstRow 'source sheet table last row

'clear memory

Set rngWBSHeader = Nothing

Set Wb = Nothing

Set wbT = Nothing

Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

EndTime = Time

MsgBox "Done" & vbCrLf & Starttime & vbCrLf & EndTime

End Sub

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Ive had the same thing with opening lots of workbooks whilst using excel 2016. Seems to fail with memory errors. The only solution ive found is to use excel 2010. Not the best solution id appreciate.

Upvote 0
Ive had the same thing with opening lots of workbooks whilst using excel 2016. Seems to fail with memory errors. The only solution ive found is to use excel 2010. Not the best solution id appreciate.
:cry::cry::cry: I'm crying here. I don't have admin rights on my machine, so cannot install/uninstall.

I suspected that there may be some memory issues which is why I included in my code to release objects (set object = nothing) that were set (I've never really understood whether that makes a difference. Some say it does, others say it doesn't).

The more I read up, the more it seems like DoEvents is something that should help. Apparently it pauses the code execution and this allows the processor time to catch up. Obviously the total macro time increases though.

Anyways - let's see how this goes. I'm adding DoEvents and will see if it makes a difference.

I simply can't believe that there is no other way to manage this. I have a beautiful macro which I need to run through 8,000 iterations but right now I can't get it to reliably go past 100 cycles.

Upvote 0
All i can tell you is the macro i use fails every time in a random place using 2016 and runs to completion every time in 2010. Seems similar problem to yours.

Upvote 0
Adding DoEvents before the "next i" line in my loop seems to have helped. But the macro run time has increased.

In my case, this problem ALWAYS surfaces when I have a loop (currently 150 Iterations) within a loop. The outer loop runs 4 or 5 iterations and then bombs out. The results also start to look incorrect (some steps to capture values into cells are omitted).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back