VBA Sync cells over multiple workbooks

newbie22922792

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,

I have a special request that I cant solve on my own. I searched all over the internet but could not find anything. I really want to prusue my goal because I am an intern at my company.

I have two documents ("workbooks"). One is called "Doc1", the other one is called "Doc2". Both documents comprise of one table "Table1".
I want to sync the cells A1 between Doc1_Table1 and Doc2_Table1. This needs to work in both ways, e.g. if I make changes in Doc1_Table 1 cell A1, it should sync to Doc2_Table1 cell A1 and vice versa.
I already found a way to sync cells from different tables WITHIN one document. But don't know how to change the code to sync over two documents.

WITHIN the docum

Your help is highly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hello everyone,

I have a special request that I cant solve on my own. I searched all over the internet but could not find anything. I really want to prusue my goal because I am an intern at my company.

I have two documents ("workbooks"). One is called "Doc1", the other one is called "Doc2". Both documents comprise of one table "Table1".
I want to sync the cells A1 between Doc1_Table1 and Doc2_Table1. This needs to work in both ways, e.g. if I make changes in Doc1_Table 1 cell A1, it should sync to Doc2_Table1 cell A1 and vice versa.
I already found a way to sync cells from different tables WITHIN one document. But don't know how to change the code to sync over two documents.

WITHIN the document I can sync two cells over different tables (e.g. table1 & table2) like that:

(this is what i put into table1 to connect to table 2 - and in table two i have the same but replaced for table1)

Private Sub Worksheet_Change (ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect (Taget, Range ("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets("Table2") .Range("A1") = Target
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

now i need a smiliar code but OVER the two documents.. please help!

Your help is highly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
First you have to make sure that both workbooks are open and then you have to fully define the destination range to include the workbook name.
Rich (BB code):
Workbooks("Doc2.xlsx").Sheets("Table1").Range("A1") = Target

Upvote 0
Solution
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your 2 sheets. Better still, you could upload a copy of your files to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark each file for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to each file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
Hello! Now it worked as you described! Thank you so much! I just don't know how I can add other cells to the code. I too want to sync e.g. A1 (doc1) with A1(doc2) or e.g. B2 (doc1) with B3 (doc2)

maybe you can tell me how to add that. Thanks!

Excel Formula:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change (ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect (Taget, Range ("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Sheets("Table2") .Range("A1") = Target
End Sub

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Sync cells over multiple workbooks with VBA
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
I want to sync multiple cells with oneanother. e.g. cell A1 (doc1/table1), A2(doc2/table1) and A3(doc2/table2)

Upvote 0
This macro in the code module for Doc1, Table1:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Column = 1 Then
        Workbooks("Doc2.xlsx").Sheets("Table1").Range("A" & Target.Row) = Target
    End If
End Sub

This macro in the code module for Doc2, Table1:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Column = 1 Then
        Workbooks("Doc1.xlsx").Sheets("Table1").Range("A" & Target.Row) = Target
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back