VBA to cause alternating colors except for certain cells

bradyboyy88

Hi,

I need to add some vba code to make the rows of columns a , b c , and d alternating colors except for the cells which are already filled with purple (or any color really) since these cells are my headers to my tables in these columns and i do not want them to change fill. Any help?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
So the Macro should only consider the rows AFTER the Header-Column Row(s). What are the start and stop rows of your headers?

Upvote 0
To alternate colors, you could use ConditionalFormatting with either

=(MOD(ROW(),2)=1) (to color alternate rows)

or

=(MOD(ROW()+COLUMN(), 2) = 1) (to make a checker-board)

To preserve your headers, just don't apply CF to those cells.

Upvote 0
To alternate colors, you could use ConditionalFormatting with either

=(MOD(ROW(),2)=1) (to color alternate rows)

or

=(MOD(ROW()+COLUMN(), 2) = 1) (to make a checker-board)

To preserve your headers, just don't apply CF to those cells.

Yea i was looking for a quick way to do this with vba but I decided to do a different method in my coding to make this happen. Thank you for the suggestion though via worksheet.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can you describe your data set with a bit more detail? What version of Excel are you using? Are you using actual Tables? Can you give an example?

For posting parts of your spreadsheet (which works really well in giving a visual) take a look at this link:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/515787-forum-posting-guidelines.html#post2545970

Thank you for that reference, I will be sure to do that next time I have a question. I was able to code it in a way where I controlled the fills much better. I made a dummy sheet which I hide. So I filled the cells with the a random color. Then in the code I mapped my selection to any cells with this color create the alternating fill within there by using a for loop and row Mod 2 with an if statement equal to 0 or not 0 and each having its own color to alternate. Worked great for anyone else need to do alternating colors in on select areas.

Either way thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back