VBA to clear cell contents but not the formula

soulman247

Hello,

I am using the following code to clear the contents of a cell, as part of a form reset, but I would like to preserve a formula I have now added to this cell.

.Range("H14").Interior.Color = xlNone
.Range("H14").Value = ""

I've tried a variety of things based on a suggestion I found on the forum - below - but can't get the code compilation correct.

Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 23).ClearContents

Any guidance would be massively appreciated. Thank you

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
You can use .SpecialCells to clear non-formula cells.

But your question implies that you want to to simultaneously clear the contents of a single cell AND maintain the formula in that single cell. That's not possible.

But depending on what you are trying to do (?) you can use VBA to clear a cell OR put a formula back into a cell, depending on circumstances.

Upvote 0
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the response.

Yes, your assumption is correct, I was trying to simultaneously clear the contents of a single cell AND maintain the formula in that single cell.

I basically want to the return the cell (form) to it's 'original' state prior to the clearing of the cell/ form reset (when the cell contains a formula)

The cell reference passes data into a table and is then reset once form is 'used'.

So a cell can be cleared and then a formula put back into the cell with a new line of code? Have I Understood you correctly?

Upvote 0
So, can't you include in the formula to have a BLANK condition

Upvote 0
So a cell can be cleared and then a formula put back into the cell with a new line of code? Have I Understood you correctly?
Yes. I sometimes write code where a formula will appear only when circumstances are appropriate, e.g. the user has clicked a button asking for a calculation, or where all required data has been provided and validated (monitored via the Worksheet_Change event).

So, can't you include in the formula to have a BLANK condition
But Michael has a good point. Are we over-complicating what's required?

Perhaps you could provide a bit more detail?

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am using the following code to clear the contents of a cell, as part of a form reset, but I would like to preserve a formula I have now added to this cell.

.Range("H14").Interior.Color = xlNone
.Range("H14").Value = ""

I've tried a variety of things based on a suggestion I found on the forum - below - but can't get the code compilation correct.

Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 23).ClearContents

Any guidance would be massively appreciated. Thank you
Why not just extract the formula and write it back to the cell once the cell is cleared. Maybe using a UDF?

VBA Code:
Function GetFormula(Target As Range) As String
    If Target.HasFormula Then
        GetFormula = Target.Formula
    End If
End Function

Upvote 0
Solution
If you are just trying to remove the formatting, how about
VBA Code:
Range("H14").ClearFormats

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for you individual input, much appreciated.

After sleeping on it, I probably was over complicating it.

I've just read Zot's post and, although not quite as elegant, this morning I added some extras line to put the formula back once the initial sub had finished which seems to be working ok so far.

Thanks for your help folks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back