VBA to Disable edit, Copy and Cut for Specific Range...without using sheet protection

aashish83

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi i have multiple sheets with important data and wish for certain range in each sheet should not be editable or should nut be copied or cut and pasted else where. I have tried doing it using sheet protection but ran into issues as my sheet has automated formulas and many macros that require filter and sorting too. is there any way out?

for e.g.

I have a sheet named Level A where i don't want C6:C19 to be editable or can be copied and then on the same sheet A34:B261 to be the same and the rest of the sheet can be editable.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Check if the following option works for you.
Put the following code in the events on the sheet where you want it to work.
With the following code they will not be able to select the cells and therefore will not be able to edit or copy them.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C6:C19, A34:B261")) Is Nothing Then
    On Error GoTo selectA1
    Target.Offset(, 1).Select
  End If
  Exit Sub
selectA1:
  Range("A1").Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
The above solution will not work if you copy say D1:D10 and paste it in C1. The data in C6 will get overwritten.

Try this as well please. I have not tested this completely. Do let me know if you find any bug?

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    On Error GoTo Whoa

Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C6:C19, A34:B261")) Is Nothing Then Application.Undo

Letscontinue:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Exit Sub
Whoa:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Letscontinue
End Sub

Upvote 0
The above solution will not work if you copy say D1:D10 and paste it in C1. The data in C6 will get overwritten.

Try this as well please. I have not tested this completely. Do let me know if you find any bug?

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

On Error GoTo Whoa

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C6:C19, A34:B261")) Is Nothing Then Application.Undo

Letscontinue:
    Exit Sub
Whoa:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Letscontinue
End Sub
Thanks for pointing it out Siddharth didn't really think about this possibility till now...will give it a try and revert shortly!

Upvote 0

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

On Error GoTo Whoa

Letscontinue:
    Exit Sub
Whoa:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Letscontinue
End Sub
Just tested the original code by Dante with paste in the range and it did not let me paste it as the selection of cell is blocked by the code and if try and select from above the range it still doesn't paste it in the range!

Upvote 0
Just tested the original code by Dante with paste in the range and it did not let me paste it as the selection of cell is blocked by the code and if try and select from above the range it still doesn't paste it in the range!

It will not let you paste in the range but if you paste outside just like I mentioned then it will not stop you from pasting. Copy say D1:D10 and paste it in C1. The data in C6 will get overwritten.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back