VBA to dynamically assign date in one cell based on manual input to several other cells in same row?

IHRAcer

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have once again reached the limit of my VBA knowledge and am here seeking help. Here's what I'd like to accomplish:

I have a worksheet list of projects, one project per row. I want Column B to be the 'Next Step By' date for each row. Users will be manually entering dates into Columns C, D, and E for each step of each project. There are different time intervals between each step, and I would like Column B to update based on input into each of these three columns in succession. When the first step is started, the next step of the project should be started within 10 days, then the next step within 30 days after that, then 60 days after that. For example:

The user starts a project and enters a date in a row in Column C, and the cell in Column B in that row displays the date 10 days in the future from that.
When the user then enters the next date in Column D, the cell in Column B then updates to display a new date that is 30 days in the future from the one entered in Column D.
When the user enters another date in Column E, then the cell in Column B updates yet again to display a date that is 60 days in the future from the one entered in Column E.

The idea is to create a sheet that is sortable by the 'Next Step By' date in order to easily keep track of which project needs attention first.

Is what I'm asking possible?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Here's some simple code that will do what you want.

You might want to add a few things to it, e.g. check that it's actually a date that's been entered, check if other columns in the row are empty or not etc, but it should give you a start.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("C:E")) Is Nothing Then

Application.EnableEvents = False

Range("B" & Target.Row).Value = Target.Value + Choose(Target.Column - 2, 10, 30, 60)

Application.EnableEvents = True
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Here's some simple code that will do what you want.

You might want to add a few things to it, e.g. check that it's actually a date that's been entered, check if other columns in the row are empty or not etc, but it should give you a start.
VBA Code:

Range("B" & Target.Row).Value = Target.Value + Choose(Target.Column - 2, 10, 30, 60)

End If

End Sub

That is EXACTLY what I wanted, thank you so much! I really appreciate the help that I always get from this site.

Upvote 0
Sorry to revive an older thread, but I'm hoping that someone has a workaround. This code works great for my purposes, but will return an error and stop all macros on the sheet if the user:

- Enters a number that isn't in date format
- Deletes a line from the sheet

Debugging on either occurrence brings me to this macro. Can anyone help me understand what I need to do to fix it?

Upvote 0
Try this.
VBA Code:

If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub    

If IsDate(Target.Value) Then

End If
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Try this.
VBA Code:

If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub   

If IsDate(Target.Value) Then

End If
    End If

End Sub

That seems to have taken care of both problems! Thank you again so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back