VBA to extract all words that start with (CB and end with )

sjinvestigator

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

How would one go about extracting all text that starts with "(CB" and ends with ")" from a column of cells with a bunch of text and paste the result in the next column? For example, if I have this in A2:

* Margarine Wholesale (27), Margarine Retail (241), Margarine Retail (287), Margarine Bulk (1781) (CB28412)
* Margarine Wholesale (281), Margarine Retail (42), Margarine Retail (13), Margarine Bulk (27) (CB28412)
* Margarine Wholesale (19), Margarine Retail (281), Margarine Retail (411), Margarine Bulk (3814) (CB82474)

I'd like to update B2 with:
(CB28412),(CB82474)

...excluding all other text found in A2. Repeat for as many rows in column A as there is data. I'd also like it to avoid duplicates if the same (CBxxxx number appears more than once in the string.

I found an excelent post with a solution for a very similar ask on this forum and tried to modify the code as follows:
VBA Code:
Sub Testing()
  Dim N As Long, X As Long, Cell As Range, Arr1 As Variant, Arr2 As Variant
  Columns("B").Clear
  For Each Cell In Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A"))
    TotalString = ""
    Arr1 = Split(Cell, "(")
    For X = 1 To UBound(Arr1)
      If UCase(Arr1(X)) Like "CB*" Then
        Arr2 = Split(Arr1(X), "(CB")
        N = N + 1
        TotalString = TotalString & "," & "(" & Arr2(0) ' & "KB"
        Cells(Cell.Row, "B") = TotalString
        End If
    Next
  Next
End Sub

However, when I run it, it extracts the (CB numbers correctly but also leaves in some other text that I don't want. It also doesn't filter duplicates.

Could anyone please offer me some advice? Thank you so much!

Mini sheet:
Scancode_Example.xlsx
AB
1Scancodes & TypeOutput I want
2* Margarine Wholesale (27), Margarine Retail (241), Margarine Retail (287), Margarine Bulk (1781) (CB28412) * Margarine Wholesale (281), Margarine Retail (42), Margarine Retail (13), Margarine Bulk (27) (CB28412) * Margarine Wholesale (19), Margarine Retail (281), Margarine Retail (411), Margarine Bulk (3814) (CB82474)(CB28412),(CB82474)
3* Margarine Wholesale (11), Margarine Retail (27), Margarine Retail (14), Margarine Bulk (15) (CB91254) * Margarine Wholesale (6), Margarine Retail (399), Margarine Retail (400), Margarine Bulk (51) (CB49185)(CB91254),(CB49185)
Data

Thank you for taking the time to provide this code. I got some inconsistent results when I tried it on large datasets
Are you able to give a sample or two of cells where Zot's code failed to give the correct results?
If that could be resolved, and you have large data, I think a significantly quicker code might be possible.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back