VBA to get data from separate workbooks by matching file and tab names

athaung

Hello,

I have a workbook - let's call it "Final" - with sheets labeled 52, 53, 54, ..., up to 81. I have separate workbooks in a folder on a network drive labeled meas52.xlsx, meas53.xlsx and so on. Each of those "meas##.xlsx" files contains three worksheets with information that I am trying to pull into its one corresponding worksheet in the "Final" workbook.

There seems to be some code out there that pulls info from a folder using the filepath etc., but I am struggling to modify it for my purposes. Below are the steps I would like to execute, and unfortunately do not have the syntax for in VBA.

1) Get the tab name in the "Final" workbook - e.g. "52"
2) Locate the filepath "C:\MyComputer\blahblah\Folder\meas"&"[tab number]"&".xlsx"

For each sheet in the "meas##.xlsx" workbook:
3) Copy contents from sheet
4) Paste as values in corresponding table in "Final workbook"

Basically, I want to write a loop that will run through and populate all the information in each of the tabs in the Final workbook! Please help!

Thanks,
Alison

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi Alison,

For numbers 3 & 4 above, could you give us an idea what the source data on the three sheets looks like and what the destination table looks like in the "Final Workbook"...

igold

Upvote 0
Sure. There are three sheets that need to be copied, with tabs/worksheets entitled "table 1", "table 2", "table 3". Each table contains 5 columns - the first is a characteristic (e.g. average, minimum, 25th percentile etc), and each subsequent column is a year (2011-2014). Tables 2 and 3 are similar but have slightly different descriptives in the first column and Table 3 is just much longer.

I want to copy and paste the three tables into one sheet in a separate workbook ("Final" workbook, which contains summary descriptives of each of the meas##.xlsx files). Basically, the final workbook keeps the relative locations of all the data exactly the same, but just is a bit jazzed up and includes other data on a separate page of each worksheet.

I can send example files, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that on this feed here... :/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back