VBA to Insert Row if non Blank

Endeavouring

Board Regular
Hi

I have a database that hs a column with a marker in one column , lets call it column D the marker denotes the start of a new record. I need to insert a blank row above each marker.

Any ideas ?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Manual or macro approach?

Manual: See if steps 1-7 of post #2 here can be adapted for your use.

Macro: Try this on a copy of your workbook.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> RowAboveMarker()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Const</SPAN> Marker <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN> = "xx" <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<-- Change to suit your marker</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> MarkerFound <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> FirstAddress <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Range("D1", Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> MarkerFound = .Find(What:=Marker, After:=.Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, _<br>            LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> MarkerFound <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            FirstAddress = MarkerFound.Offset(1).Address<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN><br>                MarkerFound.EntireRow.Insert<br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> MarkerFound = .FindNext(After:=MarkerFound)<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">While</SPAN> MarkerFound.Address <> FirstAddress<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Peter SSs

Thought I'd be smart and see if I could put the blank row after the marker
so duly tried changing

MarkerFound.EntireRow.Insert

To

MarkerFound.Offset(1).EntireRow.Insert

but with horific results, the system hung

Why ?

Upvote 0
What happened to you is that the system did not really hang, but instead the code got in an endless loop. The code keeps finding a marker and inserting rows until it returns and finds the first marker, that's why we recorded 'FirstAddress = ...'

Inserting the row before the marker moves the marker down one row and that is why I recorded
Rich (BB code):
FirstAddress = MarkerFound.Offset(1).Address

Now that you are inserting the row below the marker, the (first) marker will not move so, in this case we need to remove that red text from that line of code.

Also, just as a general guide, I always like to test on a small sample of data and step through the code a line at a time with F8. That way you get a better idea of what is happening and usually see if there is an endless loop problem.

Upvote 0
Hi

Removed the .Offset(1) but it made no difference
Not sure what you have done, but you need to make two changes to the original code.
1. Move the .Offset to where you did try, and
2. Delete the .Offset as per my previous post.

This code works for me.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> RowBelowMarker()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Const</SPAN> Marker <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN> = "xx" <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<-- Change to suit your marker</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> MarkerFound <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> FirstAddress <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Range("D1", Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> MarkerFound = .Find(What:=Marker, After:=.Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, _<br>            LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> MarkerFound <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            FirstAddress = MarkerFound.Address <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<-- Change 1</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Do</SPAN><br>                MarkerFound.Offset(1).EntireRow.Insert <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'<-- Change 2</SPAN><br>                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> MarkerFound = .FindNext(After:=MarkerFound)<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Loop</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">While</SPAN> MarkerFound.Address <> FirstAddress<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Hi Peter

My only excuse is tha it was 3am over here and I didn't make the second change.

Works like a dream

Many thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back