VBA to make textbox field editable on protected sheet

bradyboyy88

Hi,

I have a excel worksheet with a textbox shape and when the worksheet is protected the user cannot enter anything into the textbox. I want the users to be able to enter into the textbox but not move them or edit any aspects of them. Is this possible to do via the shape or textbox object or do I need to make this happen in my protect sheet function?

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi,

I have a excel worksheet with a textbox shape and when the worksheet is protected the user cannot enter anything into the textbox. I want the users to be able to enter into the textbox but not move them or edit any aspects of them. Is this possible to do via the shape or textbox object or do I need to make this happen in my protect sheet function?

Any help would be appreciated.

when you protect the sheet, uncheck the 'Edit Objects' box in the pop up 'Protect Sheet' dialog box. You have to scroll down to see that item in the options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
when you protect the sheet, uncheck the 'Edit Objects' box in the pop up 'Protect Sheet' dialog box. You have to scroll down to see that item in the options.

When you hit protect sheet edit objects is unchecked by default. So I still cannot seem to enter anything into the textbox when its unchecked. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
When you hit protect sheet edit objects is unchecked by default. So I still cannot seem to enter anything into the textbox when its unchecked. Any ideas?

did you try checking the edit objects box? I haven't used sheet protection in so long I forgot how the ritual goes, but seems like you had to unprotect and then re-protect to change the exception options. Might be a good idea to search for a tutorial on the web for protecting worksheets.

Upvote 0
did you try checking the edit objects box? I haven't used sheet protection in so long I forgot how the ritual goes, but seems like you had to unprotect and then re-protect to change the exception options. Might be a good idea to search for a tutorial on the web for protecting worksheets.

Using active x textboxes it works but im trying to stay away from them. Theres gotta be a way !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back