VBA to normalize files in a folder

BBalazs

First of all, thank you for all the support I got here during my previous question. I much appreciate it.

I am still learning VBA, slowly getting the hang of it, but now I've ran across a complex problem which I have just no idea how to handle. Here is how it goes.

I have my workbook stored in "myDir" and a subfolder, myDir & "\CSV" contains source files which I will be using later. The problem is that the source files are updated, but not overwritten automatically. Therefore, the folder contains files like this:
Apples_Report.csv
Oranges_Report.csv
Oranges_Report-1.csv
Pears_Report.csv
Pears_Report-1.csv
Pears_Report-2.csv

I will have to clean this folder using VBA. Here is the logic of what I'd like to do (as this is not real code, I'm not sure if I need to wrap it into CODE tags, sorry about that):

Code:
Iterate for All Files

Get CurrentFilename
id = 1
If (CurrentFilename & "-" & id & ".csv") is Found
Then Delete CurrentFilename
Else Next File

mainiter:
id = id+1
If (CurrentFilename & "-" & id & ".csv") is Found
Then Delete CurrentFilename & "-" & id-1 & ".csv"; GoTo mainiter
Else Rename File CurrentFilename & "-" & id & ".csv" To CurrentFilename & ".csv"; Next File

Something like that... Of course that riddle is obviously ambiguous and has logical loopholes but technically:

For files that have 1 instance only, leave them intact
For files that have more recent instances, leave only the file with the largest suffix, delete the others and rename it to a suffix-free version.
Do this for all files in the CSV subfolder.

I know I should perhaps be using the FileSystemObject, but I have little experience with that. Do you thing you can help me out?

Last edited:
Edit: So we cross-posted one-another bigtime :D Thanks for answering my question, I will fiddle around with that and come back if I fail miserably :) Thanks for your help!
No problem...glad the code is working out for you! Hope the comments in the code help you get a handle on how to traverse the FSO API! Once you get the hang of it, its very nice...

I misspoke earlier about moving the constant to the CleanupReportFiles() routine and making it a string variable. Since I reference that constant in the Private Sub DeleteIncrementalFiles(), you won't have variable scope of the ReportFolder variable within that routine unless you pass it in. So, I would leave that constant at the module level, but then turn it into a variable. That way, all routines in the module would "see" that variable. You would just assign it early on in the CleanupReportFiles() routine.

Something like this:
Code:
Private FSO As New Scripting.FileSystemObject
[B]Private ReportFolder As String[/B]

Public Sub CleanupReportFiles()
    Dim oFolder As Scripting.Folder, oFile As Scripting.File

[B]    ReportFolder = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\CSV\"[/B]

Set oFolder = FSO.GetFolder(ReportFolder) ' intialize report folder variable
End Sub
Oh, and I changed the FSO variable to Private since that's really the proper scope based on how and where it's being used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back