VBA to pull data from dynamically named closed workbooks

Qliky66

I've searched through many of the other threads about VBA for retrieving data from closed workbooks but all of them refer to a static address in the VBA itself (ex. C:\folder\folder\filename.xlsx).

In my case I need to run a macro which will update all of the formulas that I have, since they will not pull data from the file I am telling them to unless that file is currently open.

What happens is: our systems automatically generate a new file everyday in the same folder, with a filename of the date that is generated (ex. 01-01-2017), and the data that we want to pull automatically is usually in cell B11 of that, however that may change, so thats the reason we have Row B which would allow us to specify where we want our formula to look.

The problem is: excel wont use this indirect formula to look at the new file since that file is not currently open.
The solution is: a macro button which will force excel to peek in the file and display the data. I just don't know how that will work. So please help me.

The user would will open this file every couple days, drag down the formulas to correspond with the days that have passed, then click the macro button and wait for the data to upload.
Here's the structure:

DATE(rowA)CELL(RowB)FORMULA (Row C)
01-01-2017B11=indirect(" 'C:\folder\[ "&A2&".xlsx]Sheet1'! "&B2)
01-02-2017B11=indirect(" 'C:\folder\[ "&A3&".xlsx]Sheet1'! "&B3)
01-03-2017B11=indirect(" 'C:\folder\[ "&A4&".xlsx]Sheet1'! "&B4)

<tbody>
</tbody>

The DATE is the file name that I need the macro to re-open (/open if its the first time).

Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Re: VBA to pull data from dynamiccaly named closed workbooks

An INDIRECT formula which references a cell in another workbook will only pull that cell value if that workbook is open. Otherwise the formula displays the #REF! error.

Therefore this code opens each dated workbook in column A and creates the formula in column C.

Code:
Public Sub Open_Workbooks_and_Create_Formulas2()

Dim r As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet

For r = 2 To .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Workbooks.Open ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Format(.Cells(r, "A").Value, "DD-MM-YYYY") & ".xlsx"

'=INDIRECT("'C:\folder\path\["&TEXT(A2,"DD-MM-YYYY")&".xlsx]Sheet1'!"&B2)

.Cells(r, "C").ClearContents
            .Cells(r, "C").Formula = "=INDIRECT(""'" & ThisWorkbook.Path & "\[""&TEXT(A" & r & ",""DD-MM-YYYY"")&"".xlsx]Sheet1'!""&B" & r & ")"

Next

.Activate

End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0

This works amazingly! Thanks so much.
As a follow-up. Is there a way to include in the VBA for the workbooks to close afterwards? Near the end of the month this can be opening 30 or some workbooks.

Thanks again?

An INDIRECT formula which references a cell in another workbook will only pull that cell value if that workbook is open. Otherwise the formula displays the #REF! error.

Therefore this code opens each dated workbook in column A and creates the formula in column C.

Code:
Public Sub Open_Workbooks_and_Create_Formulas2()

Dim r As Long

For r = 2 To .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Workbooks.Open ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Format(.Cells(r, "A").Value, "DD-MM-YYYY") & ".xlsx"

'=INDIRECT("'C:\folder\path\["&TEXT(A2,"DD-MM-YYYY")&".xlsx]Sheet1'!"&B2)

.Cells(r, "C").Formula = "=INDIRECT(""'" & ThisWorkbook.Path & "\[""&TEXT(A" & r & ",""DD-MM-YYYY"")&"".xlsx]Sheet1'!""&B" & r & ")"

Next

.Activate

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0

Add this after the End With:

Code:
    Dim wb As Workbook

For Each wb In Application.Workbooks
        If Not wb Is ThisWorkbook Then
            wb.Close SaveChanges:=True
        End If
    Next
Alternatively, put the above code in the Workbook_BeforeClose event handler in the ThisWorkbook module to close the dated workbooks when the main workbook is closed.

Upvote 0

Something I forgot to mention... would it be possible that if the macro cannot find a specific file for it to put in "NO DATA", then move onto the next date/file?
Right now it is getting caught up if the Column A has a date in it but there's no corresponding file for that date. (This would happen on holidays, for example).

Other than that, this works perfectly! Thanks so much.

Add this after the End With:

Code:
    Dim wb As Workbook

End If
    Next
Alternatively, put the above code in the Workbook_BeforeClose event handler in the ThisWorkbook module to close the dated workbooks when the main workbook is closed.

Upvote 0

Something I forgot to mention... would it be possible that if the macro cannot find a specific file for it to put in "NO DATA", then move onto the next date/file?
Right now it is getting caught up if the Column A has a date in it but there's no corresponding file for that date. (This would happen on holidays, for example).
Have a look at the Dir function.

Upvote 0

Have a look at the Dir function.

Doesn't seem to be working for me

Code:
Public Sub Open_Files_and_Create_Formulas()

Dim r As Long

For r = 7 To .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

If Dir(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Format(.Cells(r, "A").Value, "YYYY-MM-DD") & ".xls") <> "" Then

Workbooks.Open ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Format(.Cells(r, "A").Value, "YYYY-MM-DD") & ".xls"
            .Cells(r, "C").Formula = "=INDIRECT(""'" & ThisWorkbook.Path & "\[""&TEXT(A" & r & ",""YYYY-MM-DD"")&"".xls]Sheet1'!""&B" & r & ")"

Else
        .Cells(r, "C").Formula = "NO DATA"
        End If
        Next

.Activate

End With
    Dim Z As Range, X As Range
    Set Z = Range("C7:C400")
    For Each X In Z
        If X.HasFormula And X.Value > 0 Then
            X.Value = X.Value
        End If
    Next X

Dim wb As Workbook

End If
    Next

End Sub

Upvote 0

Your code looks correct. In what way isn't it working? As written, the code will always execute either the true part of the If Dir line or the false part (the Else part).

Make sure the date string in the Format function matches the date string in the file names.

Upvote 0

Thanks for your help so far John.
The code works perfectly for the part that you wrote and works until it gets down to a date that has no corresponding file. It gets hung up at:
Code:
Workbooks.Open ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Format(.Cells(r, "A").Value, "YYYY-MM-DD") & ".xls"
When it reaches the date that is missing -- I'm assuming because of the DIR part that I added myself must not be working properly. The error code is:
Code:
Run-time error '1004'. Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed

It seems like the <> "" part of the dir function didn't cause it to go to the ELSE statement when it should have. Any ideas?

Your code looks correct. In what way isn't it working? As written, the code will always execute either the true part of the If Dir line or the false part (the Else part).

Make sure the date string in the Format function matches the date string in the file names.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Dir function call looks correct and the Workbooks.Open uses the same argument value so the Workbooks.Open should only be executed if the file exists. Try some basic debugging, stepping through the code with the F8 key and add the following code before the Dir call:
Code:
            Dim fn As String
            fn = Dir(ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Format(.Cells(r, "A").Value, "YYYY-MM-DD") & ".xls")
            MsgBox ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & Format(.Cells(r, "A").Value, "YYYY-MM-DD") & ".xls" & vbNewLine & "Dir returned """ & fn & """"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back