VBA to replace "" cells with true blanks

garywood84

I have a macro that I've recorded which copies and uses paste special to insert some data generated by formulae. Some of the cells are set by the formula to be blank, with "". However, those cells are not truly empty. So, on the pasted data, I want to run a further VBA script to find all "" cells and clear their contents. I found this code online, but can't get it to work:

VBA Code:
For Each cell in Range("A1:L10003")
     If (cell.value = "") Then cell.ClearContents
Next

Can anyone help me, please?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
It is not clear from your post what is where. You talk about copying data using PasteSpecial but what is it you are copying... values, formulas? Also, you code attempt is processing range A1:L10003... is that your original formulas or your pasted data?

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying, Rick.

I have a hidden sheet that contains formulae. The VBA is copying data from that, and pasting it into a visible sheet, using paste special, so only values are copied, rather than the formulae. Some of the formulae on the source sheet return blank cells (e.g if(x=y, "",...)), but it turns out that where x=y, the resulting visually blank cell isn't actually blank, and when it's copied and pasted as a value into the second sheet, that cell isn't blank either. That's why I need the final step in the VBA code: to find cells that have "" pasted as a value, and clear their contents, so that they are truly blank.

Does that make more sense?

Upvote 0
Would checking for cell.text ="" work? I can't seem to replicate the copied cell.

Upvote 0
Try this is should be much faster than looping through cells.
Make sure you do some checking the first time to make sure all the data types are behaving.
I tested it on a date column and it seemed to be ok.

VBA Code:
Sub RemoveBlanks()

Dim rngCol As Range
    Dim rngData As Range

Set rngData = Range("A:L")

For Each rngCol In rngData.Columns

On Error Resume Next
        rngCol.TextToColumns Destination:=rngCol, _
                DataType:=xlDelimited, _
                TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, _
                Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, _
                FieldInfo:=Array(1, 1), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
    Next rngCol

End Sub

Upvote 0
Does executing this either in the Immediate Window or within a macro fix the problem...

Range("A1:L10003").Value = Range("A1:L10003").Value

That worked in my testing and has to be the fastest way.

The only time Text to Columns might still be of benefit is if you only discover you want to get rid of blanks after you have added formulas into the sheet. Text to Columns seems to leave the formulas intact.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back