VBA to select and export multiple sheets based on values (separated by comma/space) in a single cell

linz

Hi,

Brand new to vba and after a bit of searching around, I haven't quite found what I'm trying to do.

1. My workbook has a sheet for all 50 states titled by 2-letter abbreviations.
2. On its own sheet ("export"), I have a table that's named "ExportTable" with 10 rows and 3 columns.
3. Each row has specific states assigned to it in Col B (it may be one state, 2 states, 3 states, 12 states, etc.)
4. I'd like to have all of the rows turned into individual pdf files and each named whatever is in col C (3rd col).

Col A (description) | Col B (state abbreviations separated by space and comma) | Col C (filename for each row)

first 3 example rows:
nwwa, ornwjan.pdf
neme, nh, vtnejan.pdf
midil, inmidfeb.pdf

Using the first 3 rows as an example, I'd like to have the following as the output of this macro:

1 file named "nwjan.pdf" with the sheets named "wa" and "or" in it.
1 file named "nejan.pdf" with the sheets named "me", "nw", and "vt" in it.
1 file named "midfeb.pdf" with the sheets named "il" and "in" in it.
Etc.

---
Then as a different option to the above example where I'd like to run the macro and have it create files for each row in my table ("ExportTable), I'd like to be able to select specific rows to export. Maybe I don't need to export all of them at once, but I need to export row 2, row 5, and row 10. But this is a "nice to have". To keep it simple, maybe I have a cell all by itself (F3) where I list the values in Col A to determine which rows to export. So F3 = "nw, mid" and instead of exporting all rows into individual pdfs, I only want the rows for "nw" and "mid".

Any help would be appreciated. I know how to select one cell, but I don't know how to parse out the different sheet names in one cell.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Try this. Change the path where the pdf files are saved to your liking.

Code:
[color=darkblue]Sub[/color] State_PDF_Files()

[color=darkblue]Dim[/color] cell [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range, a [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], rng [color=darkblue]As[/color] Range

[color=darkblue]Do[/color]
        a = Application.InputBox("1.) Save all listed rows " & vbLf & _
                                 "2.) Selected rows only ", _
                                 "Save as PDF Files", Type:=1)
        [color=darkblue]If[/color] a = 0 [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] [color=green]'User canceled[/color]
        [color=darkblue]If[/color] a = 1 [color=darkblue]Or[/color] a = 2 [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Do[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Loop[/color]

[color=darkblue]If[/color] a = 1 [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
        [color=darkblue]Set[/color] rng = Range("B2", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    [color=darkblue]Else[/color]
        [color=darkblue]Set[/color] rng = Intersect(Selection.EntireRow, Range("B2", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)))
    [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]

[color=darkblue]For[/color] [color=darkblue]Each[/color] cell [color=darkblue]In[/color] rng
        [color=darkblue]If[/color] a = 1 [color=darkblue]Or[/color] (a = 2 And [color=darkblue]Not[/color] Intersect(rng, cell) [color=darkblue]Is[/color] [color=darkblue]Nothing[/color]) [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
            Sheets(Split(cell.Value, ", ")).Select
            ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, _
                                            Filename:=[COLOR=#ff0000]"C:\MyFolder\"[/COLOR] & cell.Offset(, 1).Value, _
                                            Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _
                                            IncludeDocProperties:=True, _
                                            IgnorePrintAreas:=False, _
                                            OpenAfterPublish:=[color=darkblue]False[/color]
        [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Next[/color] cell

rng.Parent.Select

End [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Upvote 0
Hi. Thank you!

I apologize if this is obvious, but I don't know what to put as the input when the box pops up. I tried selecting the specific cells and rows, but it says "invalid number."

Upvote 0
Hi. Thank you!

I apologize if this is obvious, but I don't know what to put as the input when the box pops up. I tried selecting the specific cells and rows, but it says "invalid number."

If you want all the used rows in column B, enter 1
If you want only the selected rows, select them first then run the macro and enter 2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure why but either option, it only prints one row.

Using my 3 example rows, option 1 only exports one pdf, but it does include the correct states listed in the single cell (b4).
Option 2 only exports one pdf, which is always the last row if more than one are selected.

How can I get each row to have a pdf created all at once? Loop it to go through each row until either it hits an empty row or the end of a named range. I'm not sure which makes more sense.

thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back