VBA tool to create template to spot and highlight differences between two spreadsheets

chima13

Hello,

I have a VBA problem that i need help with.

Scenario:
We constantly receive spreadsheets from third parties which we use to record various metrics. The problem is that these spreadsheets are supposed to have the same headings and format to fit our set template but do not. It takes time to compare what is received with our template and highlighting these to the sender to correct and resend.

Proposed solution:
I want to create a VBA tool that lets you paste the spreadsheet received into a tab and compare it to our template, highlight differences so that we can go back to the sender and indicate what needs to be changed. This will save hours if i can pull this off.

My visualization: Very open to suggestions for improvements on this

My proposed VBA tool will have three tabs, VBA buttons on first tab and separate tabs for our template and the other for the spreadsheet received from third party.

1. Tab 1 buttons- compare columns
  2. Tab 2 our template (we have various) the idea being you paste in the one you want to compare
  3. Tab 3 the received template

Tab 2 (our template) should highlight columns that are missing (different).

Is this possible? Is it too complicated? Please help.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

DanteAmor

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
You could upload a copy of your files (template and 2 user files with highlight differences) to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vexceled

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...