VBA User Form - is this the way to go?

Mel Smith

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello folks,

I am a complete novice regarding VBA so your help and advice will be much appreciated.

I have a 69 page Workbook into which I record individual players' performances and match records. Currently, I enter match details on each individual's page but I wondered if a UserForm might not be a better way to go. Some of the design facts are:

Player's names are listed on Sheet 9 in range B5:B64.
Fixtures are listed on sheet 1 in range A4:A31 (two lines per fixture - so effectively A4, A6 A8 etc.).
Match inputs go into (for match 1) B4, C4, D, E, J, L, M, N, O, Q, R, S, T, AC, AD, AD, AE, AF, AJ, AK, AL, AM, AN, AO, AP, AR and also in the cells and row beneath i.e. B5, C5 etc.
Depending on the name selected within the form (from a dropdown list?) the player's worksheets are sheets 10 to 69.

I really wouldn't know where to start with this project so your help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mel

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Some example data would be better to help guide you and anyone assisting also more detail on what needs are. Vagueness will hinder someone getting a better picture of what you already have in mind.

Upvote 0
Does this help? I haven't started to design a UserForm as I'm not sure if it is the way to go.

Mel

2020 season data.xlsm
BCDEJLMNOPQRSTUACADAEAFAIAJAKALAMANAOAPAQAR
2BATTINGBOWLINGTYPES OF DISMISSAL
3PldInnsN.oRunsBalls Rec'd4s6sCsStOversMdnsRunsWktsAveWidesWdBldNo BallsNbBldBowledLBWCt WktCt slipCt in fieldCt out fieldStumpedR/OutOther
TR Ambrose

Upvote 0
Helps with getting a picture of the information you are wanting to work with, but what are you trying to achieve? As I explained earlier more detailed information is needed to help here, especially determining what you are wanting as an end result?

Upvote 0
With potentially up to 60 players records to update, I am wondering whether a UserForm would be an easier way to go, whereby there is a DropDown list of player's names, which when selected would 'direct' the output to go to that particular player's worksheet. another Dropdown list of fixtures, which when slected would 'direct the output to go to the relevant row(s) and 26 text boxes (x2) for the match data to be entered on the form and then "submitted" to the relevant cells. then 'clear' the form and repeat for as many players as required.

Mel

Upvote 0
I am a complete novice regarding VBA so your help and advice will be much appreciated.
I really wouldn't know where to start with this project so your help will be very much appreciated.
To answer the thread title, No, a userform would not be the way to go.

You have a workbook, it works and you know how to use it, you are getting results.

If you want to improve that workbook, start from what you do know and work from that. Jumping into the "I am a complete novice...I wouldn't know where to start" space would not improve your data analysis.

Upvote 0
Having just re-read my last reply (to Mike Rickson) it isn’t the data analysis that I’m looking to improve but rather it’s to ease the data entry.

Mel

Upvote 0
You can add drop down lists to the sheet if desired. If you feel it would aid data entry...

Upvote 0
Thanks. I was (and still am) toying with being able to stay on my 'main' sheet and enter all relevant player data - player by player - via a UserForm and click a submit button and post everything to the correct sheet and row and then repeat for each player who took part in the match. And so on match by match and competition by competition.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torchwood72

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back