VBA, USERFORM, inputbox not accepting "2" as a value

Sandcastor

Board Regular
I've built a custom print box userform, with the help of quite a few of the gurus here.
Print_Box.png

I'm using Von Pookie's code to parse the checkboxes in the form, and iterate an input box so the user can type how many copies of each checked form to print. I'm currently working on the "Sample Labels" button, because it is the easiest, and will add other buttons from there. (Checkboxes 4-12 are disabled for debugging)

The problem I am finding is that since using a For-Loop to fill the Variables, the inputboxes will not accept the number 2 as a response. Every other value works. And 2 is the most likely value to be entered in the box. Full script follows, probem area highlighted.

Code:
Private Sub PrintSampleLabels_Click()
Dim CBox As Control
Dim i As Long
Dim P As Variant
Dim N(12) As Variant
Dim NS As Variant
Dim answer
Dim Message, Title, Default
    Title = "Print Copies"                                              'Set title.
    Default = "2"                                                       'Set default.

NS = InputBox("How many sheets of labels for the injection well?", "Print Copies")
If NS = vbCancel Then NS = 0

[COLOR=#800000]For i = 1 To 12
        On Error Resume Next
        Set CBox = Me.Controls("Offset" & i)
                If CBox.Value = False Then
                    P = 0
                    GoTo Nextbox
                    End If
                P = InputBox("How many sheets of labels for offset well #" & i & "?", "Print Copies")
                If P = vbCancel Then P = 0
            N(i) = CInt(P)
Nextbox:
    Next i
[/COLOR]    

If WorksheetFunction.Sum(N) + NS = 0 Then GoTo TheEnd
answer = MsgBox("Load " & WorksheetFunction.Sum(N) + NS & " sheets of blank Sample Labels into the printer.", vbOKCancel, "LABELS!")
If answer = vbCancel Then Exit Sub ' the macro ends if the user selects the CANCEL-button
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
If NS = 0 Then GoTo Skip
    Sheets("SCHEM Sample Labels").PrintOut copies:=NS, Collate:=True, Preview:=False 'ActivePrinter:=
Skip:
    For i = 1 To 12
        If CBox.Value = True And N(i) > 0 Then Sheets("SCHEM OFFSET " & i & " Labels").PrintOut copies:=N(i), Collate:=True, Preview:=False 'ActivePrinter:=
    Next i

TheEnd:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

I have tweaked the code about six times, modified the error handlers, adjusted variable placement, and tried Integer, Long, and Variant variable types, always with the same result.
Help, please?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Have you checked the names of the controls?

Upvote 0
Where exactly does the code fail?

Upvote 0
I can't seem to pinpoint it. The code appears to execute correctly, it doesn't stor or give errors.
When the code finishes executing and the summary messagebox appears
Code:
answer = MsgBox("Load " & WorksheetFunction.Sum(N) + NS & " sheets of blank Sample Labels into the printer.", vbOKCancel, "LABELS!")

it sums up all entered values correctly, except that any values of 2 that were entered are treated as a 0.

Example: I choose three offsets to print. The script attempts to print the main labels, and the three offsets. I choose 1, 2, 3, 4copies for the four documents. I end up with 1 main label, 0x Offset#1, 3x Offset#2, 4x Offset#3

Upvote 0
Right, I thought it was an error rather than an incorrect result.

Is the only thing that's wrong the summary?

One thing you could try is stepping through the code.

To do that put a breakpoint on the first line with F9, then open the form, click the button that triggers the code and when execution halts press F8 to step through.

As you step through you should be able to see the values of variables by hovering over them, or in the Locals Window (View>Locals Window).

You should also be able to see how the code is being executed, something which might be hard to follow because of the GoTos.

Oh, and you might want to remove the On Error Resume Next.

Upvote 0
Sweet Deal. I've never had to step through before, although I have heard the term. The LOCALS window is very helpful.

The Problem was: My error handler, which prevented a type mismatch, was not set up corectly and the rest of the script was mis-reading it. Specifically, when i used the line:
Code:
I didn't realize that hitting cancel would return a null value (whereas a MSGBOX returns a vbCancel string). Secondly, the bit If P = vbCancel was evaluating to TRUE, even though vBcancel does not equal null.

Funny how an error handler can cause errors.

now it goes
Code:
For i = 1 To 12
        'On Error Resume Next
                    P = 0
                    GoTo Nextbox
                    End If
                P = InputBox("How many sheets of labels for offset well #" & i & "?", "Print Copies")
                If P = "" Then GoTo Nextbox
                N(i) = CInt(P)
Nextbox:
    Next i
And it work very fine. Although i'm still not sure why it was picking on the value 2.

Thanks for the guidance!

Upvote 0
vbCancel is a constant which has the value 2, hence your problem. ;)

Upvote 0
Maybe we'll never know.:eek:

By the way, you could easily get rid of the GoTos.

For example instead of this,
Code:
For i = 1 To 12
        On Error Resume Next
                    P = 0
                    GoTo Nextbox
                    End If
            N(i) = CInt(P)
Nextbox:
    Next i
you could have this.
Code:
 For i = 1 To 12

P = 0
        Else
                If P = vbNullStringThen P = 0
        End If

N(i) = CInt(P)

Next i

Upvote 0
at the time i was being bothered by the malfunctioning handlers, and the GoTo commands were a desperation move. Now Tidied up:
Code:
Private Sub PrintSampleLabels_Click()
Dim CBox As Control
Dim i As Long
Dim P As Variant
Dim N(12) As Long
Dim NS As Long
Dim answer

P = InputBox("How many sheets of labels for the injection well?", "Print Copies")
    If P = "" Then P = 0
    NS = CInt(P)
For i = 1 To 12
        P = 0
    Else
        P = InputBox("How many sheets of labels for offset well # " & i & "?", "Print Copies")
        If P = "" Then P = 0
    End If

N(i) = CInt(P)
    Next i
If WorksheetFunction.Sum(N) + NS = 0 Then Exit Sub

If answer = vbCancel Then Exit Sub ' the macro ends if the user selects the CANCEL-button
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
If NS > 0 Then
    Sheets("SCHEM Sample Labels").PrintOut copies:=NS, Collate:=True, Preview:=False 'ActivePrinter:=
End If
    For i = 1 To 12
        If CBox.Value = True And N(i) > 0 Then Sheets("SCHEM OFFSET " & i & " Labels").PrintOut copies:=N(i), Collate:=True, Preview:=False 'ActivePrinter:=
    Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Like a charm.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back