VBA Visible Range in a UserForm Listbox

MichaelRSnow

Hi

I've been searching the forums for some vba code which takes a visible range of cells/columns from a worksheet and places them within a Listbox held within a UserForm
The below code appears to do part of that (product_baseline is the spreadsheet, ShowProducts is the ListBox)
Issue 1: The below is it's not visible cells, it copies everything? any ideas how to apply the .SpecialCells(12) logic to the below?
Issue 2: Appears to cap at 10 columns, if i add a further "ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 10) = .Cells(i, 11).Value" to the code it fails with an could not set the list property value error?

VBA Code:
Dim cell As Range
Dim MyArr  As Variant, i As Long

' intialize array to high number of elements at start

ShowProducts.ColumnWidths = "38.25;80.75;153;68;110.5;97.75;246.5;28.5;28.5"
ShowProducts.Clear 'CLEAR THE LIST BOX BEFORE REBUILDING THE LIST
With Product_baseline
LastRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row 'FIND THE LAST ROW NUMBER
For i = 1 To LastRow 'ADD ITEMS TO THE LISTBOX
 ShowProducts.AddItem .Cells(i, 1).Value 'ADD NEW ROW
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 1) = .Cells(i, 2).Value 'ADD TO ADJACENT COLUMNS ON SAME ROW
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 2) = .Cells(i, 3).Value
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 3) = .Cells(i, 4).Value
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 4) = .Cells(i, 5).Value
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 5) = .Cells(i, 6).Value
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 6) = .Cells(i, 7).Value
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 7) = .Cells(i, 8).Value
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 8) = .Cells(i, 9).Value
 ShowProducts.List(i - 1, 9) = .Cells(i, 10).Value
Next i
End With

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
The AddItems method is limited to 10 columns, so if you want more columns you will need to use .List, rather than .AddItem.
The simplest option would be to copy the filtered range to a new sheet & then pull that data directly into the listbox

Upvote 0
I had to do something simliar a while back, it took me a few days of googling to resolve it. This is the method that I used (edited to match the code in post #1).
With blocks and range / sheet variables omitted to try and make it easier to follow.
VBA Code:
Dim LastRow As Long, lasttmp As Long
Sheets("Temp").Range("A1:I" & lasttmp).ClearContents ' clear old temporary data before starting

LastRow = Product_Baseline.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row ' find last row of source sheet

Product_Baseline.Range("A1:I" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlVisible).Copy Sheets("Temp").Range("A1") ' copy filtered data to temp sheet

lasttmp = Sheets("Temp").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row ' find last row of temp sheet

With ShowProducts
    .ColumnCount = 9
    .ColumnWidths = "38.25;80.75;153;68;110.5;97.75;246.5;28.5;28.5"
    .Clear
    .RowSource = "Temp!" & Sheets("Temp").Range("A1:I" & lasttmp).Address ' set data source as temp sheet
End With

Note that the RowSource range at the end needs to be written in worksheet formula format of Temp!A1:I???, not in vba format Sheets("Temp").Range("A1:I???")

I'm sure that there is room for significant improvement, but it should give you something to work with.

Upvote 0
What you can do is create a function that takes a range and from the visible cells, which will most likely consist of non-contiguous ranges, and create an array from them.

That array can then be used to populate the listbox.

Upvote 0
@jasonb75 was very simple, and creating a temp copy of the sheet isn't a problem for this solution so work fine. Thanks all, I knew one of you would have a simple solution to this. (y)

Upvote 0
You're welcome (y)

Norie has my attention though, I did try dumping the filtered range into an array but kept getting errors of various types. I thought that this might have been down to the 10 column limit, but it could have just as easily been incorrect method.

I didn't try it as a function, so that could have been the answer that I missed.

Upvote 0
If you try putting range that consists of non-contiguous areas, which is what you would typically have after filtering, only the first area will be put in the array.

For example if the range consisted of A2:D20, A40:D45 and A56:D567 and you tried this,
VBA Code:
arrData = Range("A2:D20, A40:A45, A56:A5647").Value
then arrData would only be populated with the values from A2:D20.

Anyway, here's function that should create an array with all the values from a range consisting on non-contiguous areas.
VBA Code:
Function ConsolidateAreasToArray(rng As Range) As Variant
Dim rngArea As Range
Dim arrIn As Variant
Dim arrOut As Variant
Dim idxCol As Long
Dim idxRow As Long
Dim cnt As Long

For Each rngArea In rng.Areas

If IsArray(arrOut) Then
            ReDim Preserve arrOut(1 To rng.Columns.Count, 1 To UBound(arrOut, 2) + rngArea.Rows.Count)
        Else
            ReDim arrOut(1 To rng.Columns.Count, 1 To rng.Rows.Count)
        End If

arrIn = rngArea.Value

For idxRow = LBound(arrIn, 1) To UBound(arrIn, 1)
            cnt = cnt + 1
            For idxCol = LBound(arrIn, 2) To UBound(arrIn, 2)

arrOut(idxCol, cnt) = arrIn(idxRow, idxCol)
            Next idxCol
        Next idxRow

Next rngArea

ConsolidateAreasToArray = arrOut

End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back