vba: windows path dir invalid? spaces possibly causing the problem

ratt2581

Board Regular
I seem to be running into errors with invalid paths and can't quite figure it out.
What I have is a userform that allows the user to enter the path they wish to save to (tbSaveTo) - when they click send it checks this path and
1st) it substitutes out "/" with "\" then
2nd) it checks to see if it ends with "\" - if not it adds it
3rd) checks if the directory then exists. it works the majority of the time but every so often it runs into issues and it appears to be issues whereever there are spaces in the directory names (ie: "My Documents").

Below is the code i use up to where my error msg is called

Anyone have any suggestions on possible causes/solutions/ideas?

Code:
        fPath = WorksheetFunction.Substitute(tbSaveTo.Value, "/", "\")
        If Right(fPath, 1) <> "\" Then
            fPath = "" & fPath & "\" & ""
            'i've tried the above and also jsut fpath = fpath & "\"
        Else
            fPath = "" & fPath & ""
            'i've tried the above and also jsut fpath w/o ""double quotes
        End If
        If Len(Dir(fPath)) = 0 Then
            MsgBox "here is where my error msg is called"

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Ummm, why not avoid the error issue in the first place and just use the GetSaveAsFilename method:

<font face=Tahoma><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> GetSaveAsFileName()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> FileName <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Filt <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>, Title <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> FilterIndex <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, Response <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set to Specified Path\Folder</SPAN><br>        ChDir "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set File Filter</SPAN><br>        Filt = "Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set *.* to Default</SPAN><br>        FilterIndex = 5<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set Dialogue Box Caption</SPAN><br>        Title = "Please select a different File"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Get FileName</SPAN><br>        FileName = Application.GetSaveAsFileName(InitialFileName:=Range("A1"), FileFilter:=Filt, _<br>            FilterIndex:=FilterIndex, Title:=Title)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Exit if Dialogue box cancelled</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> FileName = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            Response = MsgBox("No File was selected", vbOKOnly & vbCritical, "Selection Error")<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Display Full Path & File Name</SPAN><br>        Response = MsgBox("You selected " & FileName, vbInformation, "Proceed")<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Save & Close Workbook</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveWorkbook<br>            .SaveAs FileName<br>            .Close<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>            <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

HTH,

Upvote 0
thank you - wasn't even aware of that function.

very helpful and able to tweak to meet my needs - thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back