VBA: Worksheet Change Event Not Comparing Number & Formula Value

mykulpasskwa

Board Regular
I have the below code that isn't doing what I'd like and I think I know what the issue is but I can't figure out the solution. Basically there are two cells "ShBal" and "BanBal" with numbers and if they match then the Match subroutine runs. BanBal is manually entered by the user and is constant. ShBal is a Sum formula that adds together all the cells above it.

If I enter all the data I need and then enter a number into the BanBal cell then the Match subroutine runs just fine and it asks me to save like I want it to. If I enter the BanBal when the sheet opens--a userform asks you for BanBal when the workbook first opens (among other information)--then VBA skips over the Call Match line which means I don't know when the two numbers match and I am not prompted to save.

I think the problem is that ShBal is a formula and not a number, so VBA for whatever reason isn't picking up that the number is changed or that the two numbers match. I just can't see what I can do to fix that. I'm thinking it needs to compare ShBal.Value and maybe BanBal.Value? That's just a shot in the dark.

I'm open to other suggestions if there isn't a way, but the reason I have it set up like this is so the user knows when to stop working and offers them a chance to save before they lose the data for any reason.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

'PURPOSE: Anytime the sheet changes, code checks if sheet balance and Banner balance match.
    If Not (Application.Intersect(ActiveSheet.Range("ShBal", "BanBal"), Target) Is Nothing) Then
        Call Match
            Else
    End If

'Another sub

End Sub

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I figured it out. All I had to do was move it to the Calculate event and dim the variables. ?‍♂️ I'll leave this post up and here is what the code looks like now:

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
'PURPOSE: Anytime the sheet changes, code checks if sheet balance and Banner balance match.
Dim Target As Range
Set Target = Range("ShBal")

If Not Application.Intersect(ActiveSheet.Range("ShBal"), Target) Is Nothing Then
        Call Match
            Else
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back