VBA write data from Excel to Access

JackDanIce

Hi,

Due to large amounts of data, I'm working on a system with an Excel front-end and Access as data store.

For proof of concept/testing, I've successfully written code to read data from a given table with a specific field value, however, I'm struggling to write code (late biding) that pushes data to an Access DB table

When I run below, error message is "Syntax error in FROM clause", I suspect I'm not defining the data source correctly (see red below).

Struggling to find relevant answer online I can adapt, please can someone help correct? TIA, Jack

Rich (BB code):
Sub Write_Data()

Dim cn         As Object: Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Dim rs          As Object
    Dim strAdd   As String: strAdd = Data_String_Address
    Dim strda()  As Variant: strda = Database_Params

With cn
        .Open strda(1) & ";Data Source=" & strda(2)
        .Execute Write_Query, , 1
        .Close
    End With

Set cn = Nothing: Set rs = Nothing: Erase strda

End Sub

Private Function Database_Params() As Variant

Dim a As Variant: ReDim a(1 To 2)

a(1) = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0"
    a(2) = Range("Database_Path").Text

Database_Params = a: Erase a

End Function

Private Function Write_Query()

Dim msg As String: msg = "[Excel8.0;HRD=YES;DATABASE=" & ActiveWorkbook.FullName & "]." & Data_String_Address

Write_Query = "INSERT INTO tbl_Data_ORIG SELECT * FROM " & msg

End Function

Private Function Data_String_Address() As String

With Sheets("Data")
        Data_String_Address = .Name & "!" & .Cells(2, 1).Resize(.Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row - 1, 11).Address
    End With

End Function

Last edited:

Norie

Have you tried using the sheet name on it's own?

Have you tried enclosing the sheet name in [] and appending a $, e.g. [sheetname$]?

JackDanIce

I've tried but same error, making me guess it's syntax related. Currently the write query reads as:

Code:
INSERT INTO tbl_Data_ORIG SELECT * FROM [Excel8.0;HRD=YES;DATABASE=G:\Finance\forecast\Access\Data_Access_Read_Write_Test.xlsm].[Data$]$A$2:$K$6
The range I want to insert into tbl_Data_ORIG is Data!$A$2:$K$6, what change do I need to make to this query?

Norie

Have you tried including the header row?

PS If you are able to have you tried manually running the SQL in the Access database?

JackDanIce

Including the header row doesn't resolve (same error thrown up)

I'm not sure who I'd run this from Access, do you mean to test/resolve just the SQL query? If so, I'm not sure how to write:
Rich (BB code):
"INSERT INTO tbl_Data_ORIG SELECT * FROM [source]<source>"
When I replace <source>[source] with any variation of below, it errors:

[Excel8.0;HRD=YES;DATABASE=G:\Finance\forecast\Access\Data_Access_Read_Write_Test.xlsm].[Data$]$A$2:$K$6
[Excel8.0;HRD=YES;DATABASE=G:\Finance\forecast\Access\Data_Access_Read_Write_Test.xlsm].[Data]$A$2:$K$6
[Excel8.0;HRD=YES;DATABASE=G:\Finance\forecast\Access\Data_Access_Read_Write_Test.xlsm].[Data$]$A$1:$K$6

Last edited:

Norie

How about trying with a (temporary?) named range?

PS Noticed a slight type, HRD=YES should be HDR=YES.

JackDanIce

Thanks Norie, spotted that after posting, corrected it but no joy :(

Will try with named range and reply back

JackDanIce

Ty @welshgasman but both links rely on use of add-ins, namely:

Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 6.1 Library
Microsoft Office 14.0 Access database engine objects

Which in turn means using early biding (instead of late binding, where variables are declared as objects) ; reasons given earlier for need to use late binding only.

Last edited:

JackDanIce

Changed the query to this:
Code:
Write_Query = "INSERT INTO tbl_Data_ORIG SELECT * FROM [Excel 8.0;HDR=YES;DATABASE=" & ThisWorkbook.FullName & "].[Data$]" & Data_String_Address
Giving error "Syntax error in FROM clause"

If I name data range "Data_Rng" and use this as my query:
Code:
Write_Query = "INSERT INTO tbl_Data_ORIG SELECT * FROM [Excel 8.0;HDR=YES;DATABASE=" & ThisWorkbook.FullName & "].Data_Rng"
It does update data into the correct table.

Need to test some more but appear to have found a solution, thanks for all help and suggestions above :)

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Get External Data (long shot question!)
    This is likely a long shot but I am wondering if it is at all possible for Excel to somehow 'change' the contents of a URL that is being linked to...
  • Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • Cell Formatting
    Good Morning, I need to format a few different cells in the following manners: A1 has to always add a colon (:) after whatever is typed in by a...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • Workbook_Change stopped working !
    I am working on an app to speed up & automate processing of Credit Cards statements. After data is input from a CSV file, it is presented to the...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...