vbScript to Save Excel file as PDF

schielrn

Ok this has something to do with Excel, so I thought it was applicable to post here. I am trying to create a vbScript that will take all Excel files in a folder and save them as a pdf as well.

The commented line is not working in the script and I cannot for the life of me figure out the syntax to get it to work. I know thisFileName is correct because of the message box. The script will just not run if I uncomment the line in red, but that is the exact syntax in Excel?

I know I could do this through Excel, but was just hoping to have a script that could easily be kicked off.

Just thought I'd check if anyone here had an idea before I went to the all Excel approach.

Rich (BB code):
Set xlObj = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set f = fso.GetFolder("M:\Macros and Stuff for GL\New Folder")
For Each file In f.Files
set xlWB = xlObj.Workbooks.Open(file)
thisFileName =Left(xlWB.FullName , InStrRev(xlWB.FullName , ".") - 1)
xlWB.Sheets.Select
msgbox(thisFileName)
'xlWB.ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:= thisFileName & ".pdf", Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=False
xlWB.close False
counter = counter + 1
WScript.Echo "File " & counter & " of " & f.Files.count & " Done"
Next
xlObj.quit

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
You can't have a reference set to Excel in VBScript, so you need to use the literal values of the Excel constants - e.g. replace xlTypePDF with its actual value. You also can't use named arguments, so you would need to just specify the values (I'm not in front of 2007 so I don't know what they are offhand).

Upvote 0
I thought I might have been closer with this, but still didn't work. I didn't like the activesheet that was being used before:

Code:
xlObj.activewindow.selectedsheets.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:= thisFileName & ".pdf", Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=False

Upvote 0
You can't have a reference set to Excel in VBScript, so you need to use the literal values of the Excel constants - e.g. replace xlTypePDF with its actual value. You also can't use named arguments, so you would need to just specify the values (I'm not in front of 2007 so I don't know what they are offhand).
Ok thanks I will look into that and see what I can do.

Upvote 0
It would basically be something like:
Rich (BB code):
xlWB.ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.ExportAsFixedFormat 1, thisFileName & ".pdf", 1, True, False, False
replacing the 1s with the relevant values.

Upvote 0
I was hoping you might see this Rory, I have it fixed now, didn't know about the Excel constants, so here is the script then:

Code:
Set xlObj = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set f = fso.GetFolder("M:\Macros and Stuff for GL\New Folder")
For Each file In f.Files
set xlWB = xlObj.Workbooks.Open(file)
thisFileName =Left(xlWB.FullName , InStrRev(xlWB.FullName , ".") - 1)
xlWB.Sheets.Select
xlWB.ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat 0, thisFileName & ".pdf", 0, 1, 0,,,0
xlWB.close False
counter = counter + 1
WScript.Echo "File " & counter & " of " & f.Files.count & " Done"
Next
xlObj.quit

Upvote 0
Hi!
I just tried this macro and it works fine. Thanks!

There's just 1 tiny thing. How do you get rid of the "Publishing" Progress bar which pops out when saving to PDF?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back