Very simple (you know how, and I dont)

Stretlow

Board Regular
I have a simple formula =E4+10 where the value in E4 is a date and populates F4 with 10 days after.... easy.

If the value in E is blank then F will say 10-jan i need this to be blank without using conditional formatting.

Ive used 3 conditional formatting conditions already.

is this possible?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
First, Conditional Formatting would not work. You need an IF statement
Code:
=IF(E4,E4+10,"")

lenze

Upvote 0
So just the cell reference in the IF statement means "IF CELL'S NOT EMPTY'......
I did not know that.... thanks lenze...
Not exactly True. It test for cells that are greater than 0, so text entered in the cell will produce an error. Since the OP said dates were being entered (hopefully with data validation in place), I choose the shortcut. Mike's suggestion is perhaps technically better.

lenze

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try;

=IF(E4="","",E4+10)

Superb exactly what I needed.

Another quick one if I may.....

im using the conditional formatting to highlight an entire row ->

im using

=$F3=today() to highlight it if F3 hits todays date

ive set another conditional format up with

=$H3=today() to highlight in another colour when it hits this date

i know im nearly there but i want the first colour to highlight between condition 1 and 2's date

and the other colour when we hit condition 2 and thereafter.

Is this possible

Again help much appreciated

Upvote 0
Not exactly True. It test for cells that are greater than 0, so text entered in the cell will produce an error. Since the OP said dates were being entered (hopefully with data validation in place), I choose the shortcut. Mike's suggestion is perhaps technically better.

lenze

Hello Lenze,

I'm not sure if this entire statement is necessarily true "It test for cells that are greater than 0, so text entered in the cell will produce an error." Please see example below:

Sheet1

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 90px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD> </TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1/1/2009</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1/11/2009</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1/3/2009</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1/13/2009</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-1</TD><TD>True</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD>TEST STRING</TD><TD>#VALUE!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #00ff00; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove"><TBODY><TR><TD>Spreadsheet Formulas</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca"><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Formula</TD></TR><TR><TD>B1</TD><TD>=IF(A1,A1+10,"")</TD></TR><TR><TD>B2</TD><TD>=IF(A2,A2+10,"")</TD></TR><TR><TD>B3</TD><TD>=IF(A3,"True","False")</TD></TR><TR><TD>B4</TD><TD>=IF(A4,"True","False")</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

I believe if you reference a cell (i.e. in the OP's case, E4).. it checks to see if there is a value present or not.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

~ Busypee :)

Upvote 0
You are correct, Busypee. I simply ignored the negatives on the assumption they would not come into play given the OP.
lenze

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back