viewing/opening .123 files

Gates Is Antichrist

I gather that Excel opens .WK? but not .123. So I downloaded kvlot32.exe from ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/

and man, I have to say, for all the incompetence Microsoft has displayed over the years, I have to wonder how IBM stayed in business for 6 months (IBM owns Lotus). (I wonder if the rumors were true, about the "do-nothing" time-burning loops in IBM code...)

This will not install and run properly, and before I waste even more valuable time (thank you, IBM), is KVLOT32.EXE the way you get into .123 files? All I crucially need is "copy by value." If I want to do more, you better believe that I'm going to rush out and buy me a copy of SmartSuite :x

I'm shocked at how uncommon this question is in archives. :unsure:

Does anyone know the current state of affairs when using Open Office to open .123 files?

jim

I've already got that feature installed.

But when I goto Excel the filter for 123 files is *.wk?.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
i have various older flavours of office, office xp, office 97 and office 95 lying around.

If you are willing to email me the offending file i will attempt to read it into an earlier version of excel.

In office 97, file open, choose lotus 1-2-3 files gives no hint of what file extension it is expecting.

PM me with an email address and I will acknowledge then you can send me the file and i will see what i can do

I have had similar problems to this in the past and have regressed to older versions.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the exceedingly generous offer. For this time, I have someone with Lotus that can save in Excel format, but this happens often enough that I seek an ongoing solution.

Hey, if you make a public offer like you did, I hope you are adept at macro-suppression :eek:

As the M.I.S. department here has determined that no one but them is mentally capable of having XP Administrator access (hey - they should work for Microsoft!), trying out your steps is a bureaucratic process. Nonetheless, well done, going through the steps, and in explicit detail. Others will read this too, so it's directly valuable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back