viewing/opening .123 files

Gates Is Antichrist

I gather that Excel opens .WK? but not .123. So I downloaded kvlot32.exe from ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/

and man, I have to say, for all the incompetence Microsoft has displayed over the years, I have to wonder how IBM stayed in business for 6 months (IBM owns Lotus). (I wonder if the rumors were true, about the "do-nothing" time-burning loops in IBM code...)

This will not install and run properly, and before I waste even more valuable time (thank you, IBM), is KVLOT32.EXE the way you get into .123 files? All I crucially need is "copy by value." If I want to do more, you better believe that I'm going to rush out and buy me a copy of SmartSuite :x

I'm shocked at how uncommon this question is in archives. :unsure:

Does anyone know the current state of affairs when using Open Office to open .123 files?

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Gene, you sound like a real expert, and thanks for your contribution.

Does anyone have the real answer?

? Did I not underestand you ?

Gene, "The Mortgage Man", Klein

Upvote 0
Gene you gave an excellent answer to the question, "how can I copy by value?" Meanwhile, if you can't view or open a .123 file, it would be very rewarding to paste special right after copying the, uh, ... right after copying the ... uh, coach, how would I do the copy part again?

Is KVLOT32.EXE the way you get into .123 files?

Does anyone know the current state of affairs when using Open Office to open .123 files?

Upvote 0
one thing you could possibly try is, goto add/remove programs and modify your office installation, under the office tools, there is a file converter section and in that you might find the option to install a 123 filter.

This option exists under my office XP setup, now whether 123 files have been subjected to internal structure changes over the years, i do not know.

Failing this try to find someone with an earlier version of office when 123 was all the rage and bring your workbook up thru the versions

Upvote 0
Gates

Regarding OpenOffice, what's the question?

I've got it installed and I have the option to open 123 files.

How/if it works I don't know since I don't have any 123 files to test it with.

Upvote 0
Norie, from what little I've heard, the .123 reading capability in OO has been haphazard; but as OO is constantly dynamically fixed/improved, I hope - and am asking if - it has reached prime time yet.

jimrward, I'm using Office '03 and I'll try to find what you described (no luck yet finding that). A quick look in wikipedia (not a definitive source) says "All new development of [Smart] suite was ended in 2000 with ongoing maintenance being shifted overseas" so format evolution is probably not an issue. Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

Upvote 0
Gates

What sort of problems does OO have?

Have you tried it?

Upvote 0
add/remove programs
microsoft office
add/remove features
Office Shared features
converters and filters
text converters
and right at the bottom in Office XP setup is the 123 converter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back