Visually Split a Table into Smaller Tables but Maintain Table Functionality

abdaniel487

I've been looking across the Google-verse to no avail, so I figured I'd pose the question here. I'm not sure if this is even possible but here goes:

Background info:
I've developed a "tracking" tool for the board game Risk such that the user inputs territorial control by player and the tool will give you the unit allocation for each player. Everything about it works fine except I'd like to update the "UI" such that it all fits on my laptop screen at once instead of having to scroll up/down to change control of the territories. If anyone is interested in having this dumb little tool I made then just let me know and I'll email it to you or something. I finally got to test it out yesterday and it worked pretty swell. The biggest pain point was scrolling to switch territories in real-time, hence my want for this fix.

I'd like to be able to split a single long table (42 rows and a header row) into two smaller/shorter tables (21 rows each and a header row), but maintain the ability to do things like sort and filter by value across the smaller tables. Ideally, I can use either of the "mini" tables' filtering and sorting options to affect both. If necessary, I can write out a new macro that will do this but it's so quick and intuitive to just use Excel's existing functionality and buttons. If Excel has some built-in functionality that will do most of the legwork for me, that would be fantastic. I've linked to some screen grabs to demonstrate what I mean, in case it's unclear.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Qda5W

Can anyone give me some pointers here? If the functionality is simply not there, does anyone have any suggestions for imposing it? My first thought was a new command button with keyboard shortcut that can sort and filter. Another idea was to have a new command button that will give a pop-up with drop down selection of territory and player names that will update the sheet (while maintaining current interface with data validation). I am absolutely open to suggestion here, though, so any ideas?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
That's not really how excel works. You have a few options:

Split the window and scroll around until it's split correctly, but then filtering will kill that
Covert the tool into a userform which would then be a true UI and have additional features (notes, troop counts, etc)
Create multiple pivot tables and have a slicer control both, have one pivot table contain certain countries and the other contain the remainder (best option, imo).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back