VLOOKUP Across Multiple Sheets - Same array

Pippy79

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have multiple order sheets where i want to collate the totals in one summary sheet so i know the total orders per item.

is there a multiple vlookup function i can do. I want to summarise column D with the items in Column A.

ABCD
1​
ProductRecommended Retail PriceWholesale price (excl VAT)Quantity
2​
123​
3​
456​

Thanks

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
How many worksheets would be involved and is there anything common with the sheet names...something that could be used as a selection criterion? Or are all of the worksheets in the workbook to be considered? I ask because it might be easier to use Power Query to load in the relevant worksheets and build a consolidated list. That could be done in just a few steps. In this recent post...
...I describe an approach for transforming content that exists across multiple sheets in a source workbook. In your case, you might need to filter the worksheets to be processed so that only the relevant ones are considered.

In a source workbook, I mocked up three worksheets (Pippy1, Pippy2, and Pippy3) with some data and then used Power Query to consider only worksheets beginning with "Pippy" to produce this output:
Book2
ABC
1SheetProductQuantity
2Pippy112310
3Pippy145620
4Pippy227949
5Pippy228337
6Pippy345813
7Pippy346717
Pippy1

The code used:
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\...your file path and name...\MrExcel_20220912.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Text.StartsWith([Name], "Pippy")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Name", "Data"}),
    #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Data", {"Column1", "Column4"}, {"Column1", "Column4"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Expanded Data", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Pippy1", type text}, {"Product", type any}, {"Quantity", type any}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Pippy1", "Sheet"}}),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each ([Product] <> "Product"))
in
    #"Filtered Rows1"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your response, the sheets do have common wording such as "Order Form 2022" then they are followed by the purchaser. In terms of amount of sheets theres around 10-15.

The power query above looks quite big and "scary". is there anything less intimidating?

Thanks

Upvote 0
It's not too bad. The file available at the link below already contains the M Code, although you will need to edit one line...the "Source" line needs to be updated to point to your workbook. You can follow the instructions in the post I linked to earlier, or you can take some shortcuts.
Download the file and place it in the same folder with your Order Forms workbook. While in that folder (probably in Windows File Explorer), right click on the Order Forms workbook and choose "Copy as path". That copies the full path name and file name of your Order Forms workbook to your clipboard.

Then open the file I provided and click on the results table. Then in the top level menu, click Query > Edit. Power Query should open. On the right, you will see a navigation window showing the various steps in the query. Click on the first step (named "Source") and look in the formula bar. You should see:
= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\...path name and file name"), null, true)
Select everything between the quotation marks and paste your path and file name there. Then click the check mark (to the left of the formula bar) to confirm the change. That's all!

You can click on each of the steps in the navigation pane to watch the transformation of your data. If you want to change the column headings, double click on the heading and type a new heading. If you want to sort the columns differently, or group them somehow that could be done in Power Query too. After confirming that the last step produces the desired output, click on Home > Close and Load and the query table will be loaded back into the Excel workbook.

Any subsequent changes to the Order Forms sheets will be reflected in the summary table by clicking in the summary table and choosing Data > Refresh All > Refresh All.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back