username_rand

I have data in multiple excel sheets in the same workbook. All sheets have the same table but different data as each sheet represents a certain date. The name of shops in the table are chosen from a dropdown list and you can see the full list of shops to the right of the photo. What i want to do is to have a new sheet that has the names of shops and the sum of receipts next to each shop, so i'm looking for a formula that would copy and sum the receipt value from each sheet only if the name of the shop is found in the sheets. I know i could easily do it through vlookup but it would need some preparation and changes to the table format and arrangement so it would be my last resort. The below is only a sample of the data i have. Is there any formula that would help me get this done?

Screenshot.png

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Create two new blank sheets. Name one "Shops" and the other "Summary". Remove the list of shop names from their current location in column N and place them in column A of sheet "Shops" starting in cell A1. Change the data validation formula for the drop down lists to refer to this new location of the shop names. Try this macro:
VBA Code:
Sub CalculateTotals()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim ws As Worksheet, shop As Range, fnd As Range, sAddr As String, total As Long, desWS As Worksheet
    Set desWS = Sheets("Summary")
    For Each shop In Sheets("Shops").Range("A1", Sheets("Shops").Range("A" & Sheets("Shops").Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        For Each ws In Sheets
            If ws.Name <> "Shops" And ws.Name <> "Summary" Then
                With ws
                    Set fnd = .UsedRange.Offset(1, 0).Cells.Find(shop, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
                    If Not fnd Is Nothing Then
                        sAddr = fnd.Address
                        Do
                            total = total + fnd.Offset(, 1).Value
                            Set fnd = .UsedRange.Offset(1, 0).Cells.FindNext(shop)
                        Loop While sAddr <> fnd.Address
                        sAddr = ""
                    End If
                End With
            End If
        Next ws
        With desWS
            .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = shop
            .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) = total
        End With
        total = 0
    Next shop
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry. Try this revised version:
Code:
Sub CalculateTotals()
    Dim ws As Worksheet, shop As Range, fnd As Range, sAddr As String, total As Long, desWS As Worksheet
    For Each shop In Sheets("Shops").Range("A1", Sheets("Shops").Range("A" & Sheets("Shops").Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
        For Each ws In Sheets
                With ws
                    Set fnd = .UsedRange.Offset(1, 0).Cells.Find(shop, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
                        sAddr = fnd.Address
                        Do
                            Set fnd = .UsedRange.Offset(1, 0).Find(What:=shop, after:=fnd, LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlPart, _
                                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
                                MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=True)
                        sAddr = ""
                    End If
                End With
            End If
        Next ws
        With desWS
        End With
        total = 0
    Next shop
End Sub

Upvote 0
I did exactly like you said and it does work! But is there a reason why the data is duplicated in the summary sheet? Am i doing something wrong ?

Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
You said:
What i want to do is to have a new sheet that has the names of shops and the sum of receipts next to each shop
The new sheet would be "Summary". I tried the macro on some dummy data and it worked properly. How is it not working for you? Do you get an error message and if so, what is the error message and which line of code is highlighted when you click "Debug"? It would be easier to help and test possible solutions if you could attach a copy of your file. Perhaps you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
I did not say it is not working, sorry if you thought so, it does indeed work and gives the total for each shop name, but the thing is that after the macro runs, the Summary sheet shows duplicated names of the shops; as in i can find Shop1 and its corresponding total more than once in the final list. Let me try it again and share what i'm getting with you if it keeps showing duplicated values.

Upvote 0
Are you running the macro more than once?

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Sub CalculateTotals()
        For Each ws In Sheets
                With ws
                        sAddr = fnd.Address
                        Do
                            Set fnd = .UsedRange.Offset(1, 0).Find(What:=shop, after:=fnd, LookIn:=xlFormulas, lookat:=xlPart, _
                                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
                                MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=True)
                        sAddr = ""
                    End If
                End With
            End If
        Next ws
        With desWS
            .UsedRange.Offset(1, 0).ClearContents
        End With
        total = 0
    Next shop
End Sub

Upvote 0
One last question regarding the solution you provided, is there a way to calculate the sum of shops receipt for each date (sheet) instead of the whole workbook?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back