Vlookup based on cell content

AngleseyExcel

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
=VLOOKUP(AA10,'Week 52'!$F$8:$F$105,1,0)

i'm using the above to check that selection on sheet 'Week 52'. but i want it to be dependent on whichever week number is in a certain cell. not fixed on one single sheet.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how this would be done ?

This is a link to the a test file that i'm using.

You'll find 2 worksheets in the file. In the checker worksheet, you'll find a box that will show if those duties are covered on those days in whichever sheet is selected in the dropdown. what i'm looking at getting to work is getting the green and red boxes in the checker sheet to changes based on what the indirect finds.

TIA for any and all help.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
As far as I can see, INDIRECT is not the problem there are no matching records in the lookup column for the criteria you are searching for.

The suggested formulas will all work when there is matching data.

If you think that there is a result that should be found then please tell us which cell in the 'Checker' sheet should show a result and where you think that the result should be found in the 'Week 52' sheet.

Upvote 0
can you provide details , what cell is the lookup using indirect IN ?

Upvote 0
what i'm trying to get it to do is, if it checks the sheet(Week 52) for whatever is in the cell to the left of the red/green cell in 'Checker' to return either a 1 if found or 0 if not found. I can then use conditional formatting to colour them green or red respectively. But all this is slightly over my head, and it's why i'm sounding a bit confused.

Upvote 0
whatever is in the cell to the left of the red/green cell in 'Checker' to return either a 1 if found or 0 if not found.
In that case you would be better of with countif than vlookup (as mentioned in post 3)
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'Week "&A1&"'!$F$8:$F$105")
Vlookup will return the original text, or an error if nothing is found, not 1 or 0 as required. If you have based your conditional formatting on values of 1 and 0 then it will fail because of the formula results not meeting the criteria.

Upvote 0
Solution
as mentioned by jasonb75, use a countif() with the indirect

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back